Sort by Album, then by Track #


When I open Mp3tag, the tracks are sorted 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3,... for each album (I have three albums open from same Artist right now). This is when it is set to sort either by Album or Artist. If I click on the "Track" column header, then the tracks are ordered 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3,... Once I click on the "Album" column header, then tracks are finally sorted 1, 2, 3, 4....for each album.

I was wondering if there is a way to sort first by album, and then by track number (or even first by artist, then album, and then track number). If not, what are the chances that a custom sort feature could be added?

It isn't a major necesssity, as it only requires a couple of clicks to get it to sort the way I want. I just wondered if perhaps I am missing something, and there is the ability to do this already.



You can create a new column My sorting via View > Columns... and use sth. like
%artist% %album% $num(%track%,2)
as value.

Just click on the columns header to apply your custom sorting.

Best regards,
~ Florian



This program ceases to amaze me! Thanks for the tip. I actually tried something slightly different. I put "%artist% %album% $num(%track%,2)" in the "Sort by" field instead of the "Value" field. It accomplished the same function, without displaying anything in the column. That way, I can collapse the column (basically hiding it) and use it as my default sort option.



EDIT: Actually....I went even further to get complete sorting, even when using Album Artist, and to account for "The " in the artist field.

$if(%album artist%,%album artist%,$if($eql($left(%artist%,4),The ),$replace(%artist%,The ,),%artist%)) %album% $num(%track%,2)Again, I place it in the "Sort by" field in a new column config, which keeps the column blank, but clicking the header will sort by Album Artist/Artist - Album - Track Number.


Thanks a lot kockroach :slight_smile: your contribution was enough for me to tune the sort string to my preference, that is Artist-Year(if available)-Album-TN. For the less experienced:

$if($eql($left(%artist%,4),The ),$replace(%artist%,The ,),%artist%) $if(%year%,%year% %album% $num(%track%,2),%album% $num(%track%,2))

I've cut %album artist% away because it messes things up a little bit to me :wink:

Cheers! :smiley: