Sorting fails for tracks with combination of numbers and letters (i.e. "1a")

Using Ver 3.04b Dec 17th 2020
There is a problem sorting (by column head) track numbers (even self-assigned ones) if a combination of numbers and letters is used for subtracks (1a, 1b, 1c, 1d sorts to 1a <1c<1d<1b). Sorting works well if either numbers or letters are used.
To reproduce - well, obviously: Renumber and sort something.

Have you set "Numeric" in the column definition?
1a, 1b ... is only numeric up to the 1.
Untick "Numeric" and see if it works better

Sorry, Ohrenkino ....I don't know what you want me to do - cannot find any "numeric" (also I'm using the German UI). Can you be a bit more detailed? I'm not THAT experienced :frowning:

See the column definition - for that right-click on any column header, select the "Columns ..." function.
In the then open dialogue, navigate in the list of columns to the one that shows TRACK
On the right of the dialogue you find the column name, value, field, sort by and numeric.
tracknummer

1 Like

Ah --- thank you very much. As you expected that did the trick!
I have "saved the configuration" to a mp3tag\data\columns\x.ini file and expect this to be the new default now.
Are there any disadvantages or special considerations deriving from the unchecked "numeric" state?
I mean, there is probably a reason for having this ON by default.

It is the new default as soon as you changed the configuration. A new version of MP3Tag will take this setting.
The saving of a columns.ini creates a backup or an alternative setting, that can be loaded.

Yes.
You now sort track as text which means that you get all tracks starting with "1" first, so unless you have leading zeros, it will be
and then
and so on.
To be honest: "1a" is no valid track number according to the ID3 standard which wants track to be numeric. The only exception is the / to separate current from total.

I see. I normally use leading zeros - but it probably isn't a good idea to use "1a" and alike if it violates the ID3 standard. I seldom need it. Usually it occurs with classical music like symphonies only.
I'll try to find a valid alternative.
In any case, my thanks for the comprehensive clarification!
Also @ poster - Point taken!
From my side this thread can be closed.

Many Vinyl-LPs also define their tracks with mixed letters and numbers, like

A1 - Track 1 on Side A
A2 - Track 2 on Side A
A3 - Track 3 on Side A
B1 - Track 1 on Side B
B2 - Track 2 on Side B
B3 - Track 3 on Side B

The ID3 standard says:

TRCK - The 'Track number/Position in set' frame is a numeric string containing the order number of the audio-file on its original recording. This may be extended with a "/" character and a numeric string containing the total numer of tracks/elements on the original recording. E.g. "4/9"

The problem lies in the definition "numeric string". There is no such thing as a "numeric string". It is either a numeric number (0 to 9 only) or it is a string (every letter, every number, every character).

This is only necessary, if you find a problem with your player devices or software. As long as you use your tracks only by yourself, you can use this "numeric string" as you want.

True.
The "string" refers to the / - and that is the only valid non-numeric character.
E.g. MP4 tags do not even allow leading zeros. I wonder what a track number like "1a" would look like there?

@ohrenkino is right:
I found the definition for this "numeric string" in the ID3v2.3.0 Informal standard which says
:face_with_monocle:
2. Conventions in this document.... A tag is the whole tag described in this document. A frame is a block of information in the tag. The tag consists of a header, frames and optional padding. A field is a piece of information; one value, a string etc. A numeric string is a string that consists of the characters 0-9 only."

I don't know why they don't call the characters 0-9 just "numbers". :crazy_face: