Sorts only first character(s)

I like to load MP3 player with content but many items are named 1-1-itema, 1-2-itemb, 1-3-item3. Then another batch is 1-1-different-item, 1-2-different-item, 1-3-different item.

They sort as

1-1-different-item
1-1-itema
1-2-different-item
1-2-itemb

I want them to sort as

1-1-different-item
1-2-different-item
1-1-itema
1-2-itemb

I want them to play in consecutive order. I have sorted by name - same outcome. I converted title to name and sorted by title - same outcome. I think the sort is only using the first few characters. Is there a way to increase the number of characters that the sort examines? In either name or title? If I could sort by the first 10 characters I'd be fine.

Actually, I do no see anything wrong in

And I would say that this sorting order does not take a specific letter but the whole string and sorts it until there is a difference. And 1-1-d comes before 1-1-i in an alphabetic order.
What you could try: set up a playlist and see if your player uses that.
If it does not, then you have to supply a sort criterion that leads to the sorting order that you want.
E.g. you sort the tracks in the way you want and then you add a number to the front of the sorting property. If that is the filename, use an action of the type "Format value" for _FILENAME
Format string: $num(%_counter%,3)_%_filename%