Standards

Hello, could you please adhere mp3tag to these standards concerning album artist?

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ds#ALBUM_ARTIST

Specifically,

"album artist" NOT "albumartist"
If "Artist" == "Album Artist", set "Album Artist"

thanks

I think the only software that ever really used that was foobar2000, and since it never caught on, even they have changed to the more widely accepted ALBUMARTIST.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry793886

I've been talking about this with some folks in IRC and apparently the standard is "albumartist" and so foobar adheres to said standard, however foobar does some funky things when reading the tags. It detects "albumartist", reports it as "album artist" and any explicit search for "albumartist" will fail. So they haven't given up on it, they just transparently represent the data the way they prefer.

Either way, the mp3tag interface is inconsistent in this respect: the field is labeled "Album Artist" but it means "AlbumArtist".
Furthermore, there is no reason to not adhere to the rest of the proposed standards.

The variable is called %albumartist%
The labelling of columns can be adapted according to your needs and seems to depend on the local language. (the German version uses Album-Interpret).
As you can create the field only by using the correct variable name %albumartist% I can see no inconsistency.

No, what they did was propose one "standard" and then after a while came to realize that the rest of the world uses another. So they're trying adapt and read both of them. Sounds like the real problems you're having are with foobar, not Mp3tag.

Are you talking about he field labels in the Tag Panel and the columns? You can easily change both of these if you find it confusing. The labels aren't intended to reflect the actual field name. If you edit Mp3 files with ID3v2 tags, for example, the underlying field is TPE2. Internally, when working within Mp3tag you must use the variable name ALBUMARTIST. Which is convenient ... because it just happens to be the actual field name used in vorbis comments in FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files.

Mp3tag does a very good job of doing exactly that.