Tag-Filename formatting

First of all: i don't think that my english is very good, so try to understand what i wrote (if you're interested in :stuck_out_tongue: )

These are my format string for Tag-Filename (i hope they can be usefull for someone) :slight_smile:

format string for single artist album (replace the leading '...' with your music folder):

...\$if($and($geql($caps($left($if($eql($left(%artist%,4),'The '),$right(%artist%,$sub($len(%artist%),4)),%artist%),1)),A),$leql($caps($left($if($eql( $left(%artist%,4),'The '),$right(%artist%,$sub($len(%artist%),4)),%artist%),1)),Z)),$caps( $left($if($eql($left(%artist%,4),'The '),$right(%artist%,$sub( $len(%artist%),4)),%artist%),1)),'#')\$if($eql($left(%artist%,4),'The '),$right(%artist%,$sub($len(%artist%),4)),%artist%)\['['%year%']' ]$if($grtr($strstr(%album%,'[Cd'),0),$left(%album%,$sub( $strstr(%album%,'[Cd'),2))\$right(%album%,$sub($len(%album%),$sub( $strstr(%album%,'[Cd'),1))),%album%)\\%track% - %title% example: if you have a double album (cd1 and cd2), artsit name 'Jhonny', album name 'Best of', year '2008' the result of this format string will be ... / J / Jhonny / [2008] Best of / [Cd1] / %track% - %title%.mp3 for the Cd1 songs ... / J / Jhonny / [2008] Best of / [Cd2] / %track% - %title%.mp3 for the Cd1 songs

structure:
...\FirstLetter or #\Artist[Year] Album[Cd#]\TrackNumber - Title.mp3

1. as you can see the first folder name is the first letter of the artist (if the first letter is a number, the first folder name will be '#' )
  2. second folder name is the name of the artist (N.B.: if the name of artist begins whit 'The ' like 'The Woats', in the folder name doesn't compare 'The ' so the result will be 'Woats'
  3. third folder is the album and if the tag 'year' is not empty it is put at the beginning of this name inside square braket
  4. fourth folder is optional, in other words if the album has more than one cd it will be divided into subfolders
  5. at last, all file will be renamed putting the track number and then the title
I use this format string by many years (recently modified) and i think it is very usefull
N.B. in the album name the 'Cd#' must be inside square bracket: example album='Best of [Cd1]'

format string for various artist album (compilations) (replace the leading '...' with your music folder):

...\[$if($grtr($strstr(%album%,'-'),0),$left(%album%,$sub( $strstr(%album%,'-'),1))\,)][$if($grtr($strstr($right(%album%,$sub( $len(%album%),$strstr(%album%,'-'))),'-'),0),$left($right(%album%,$sub($len(%album%), $strstr(%album%,'-'))),$sub($strstr($right(%album%,$sub($len(%album%), $strstr(%album%,'-'))),'-'),1))\,)]$if($grtr($strstr(%album%,'[Cd'),0),$left(%album%, $sub($strstr(%album%,'[Cd'),2))[ '['%year%']']\$right(%album%,$sub($len(%album%), $sub($strstr(%album%,'[Cd'),1))),%album%[ '['%year%']'])\\%track% - %artist% - %title%

structure:
...\Album [Year][Cd#] description\TackNumber - Artist - Title.mp3

• first folder is the name of album followed by the year (if not null)
  • second folder is optional, in other words if the album has more than one cd it will be divided into subfolders
  • at last, all file will be renamed putting the track number, the artist and then the title
[*]N.B. Additional function: i found many compilation that has the same name and change only the volume; example 'Mimy Compilation Vol.1' 'Mimy Compilation Vol.2' .....
To put all of them in the same folder you have to separate the compilation name from the 'volume' with the minus char
example: 'Mimy Compilation-Vol.1' 'Mimy Compilation-Vol.2' .....
doing so my format string will create one main folder for the album name 'Mimy Compilation' and inside this folder you will find all the volume
result:
'Mimy Compilation-Vol.1' -> ... \ Mimy Compilation \ Vol.1 [Year][Cd#] description\TackNumber - Artist - Title.mp3
'Mimy Compilation-Vol.2' -> ... \ Mimy Compilation \ Vol.2 [Year][Cd#] description\TackNumber - Artist - Title.mp3

I have also a lot of 'Actions' to automatically format the album (expecially for the [Cd#] compatibility of Tag-Filename conversion)
using also this i never hand write the tags, never...i download then from 'freedb' and apply action; finally I convert Tag-Filename and i have a lot of music ordered very well :music:

Hi degrot.
Thanks for your scripts, there been very helpful to me.
Could you please let me use your actions scripts ??
Thanks again.
A.