Tag Lookup of Filenames (Songs)

Forgive me if this isn't the right discussion area for this question. If necessary I'll move the question.

As this is my first opportunity to get comfortable with MP3Tag, I'm confused about a couple of issues.

First, I realize that ID3 data is downloaded via what ever source one chooses to use when a CD is inserted but my question is, is there a way to select an existing mp3 file or series of them for metadata lookup? Album Art lookup?

Second, after I removed meta info on a series of files, I wanted to tag songs based upon physical file names yet couldn't get the convert option to allow me that option. (Alt-F2) OK button remains greyed out and only gives me the option to cancel.

Pointers in the right direction will be appreciated.

To get the converter filename-tag working you have to enter a mask which tells mp3tag which tag filed should get which data.
e.g.

01 - all my loving - the beatles
can be described with the following mask:
%track% - %title% - %artist%
The dialogue offers two ways of assistance:
one is the preview that shows you which data will end up in which field according to the mask you entered
and second is the arrow-button on the right which opens al ist of field names so that you can choose one.
Please note: you have to enter the separating bits on your own, in my example the hyphens.
You can use the whole pathname to get information, e.g. if you stored the tracks in a folder that has the the name of the album, you can access that data as well with the mask:
%album%\%track% - %title% - %artist%

After you have added the album information you can use one of the web sources to get the album cover.

Thanks for the response.

The masks you're referring to show up after you highlight the name and select "convert" which requires that whichever mask you select, it has to have the corresponding fields already in the physical file name. I now realize that it will not use the default mask variables and leave the fields blank which may not exist in the physical field, ie: track, album, etc. That's where I was going wrong.

Physical Track Example: 01 - all my loving - the beatles

Corresponding mask would be limited to the fields that are within the physical file example.

Mask Variables Example: %track% - %title% - %artist%

and NOT

Mask Variables Example: %artist% - %track% - %album% - %title%

I appreciate your clarification.

Is there a way to perform metadata lookup on a single existing mp3 file or are you limited to cover art only at this point?

Right now, you should give examples of your data.
To lookup covers the file should contain some hints about the artist and the album. Otherwise, as a blank file (no metadata), it would be nothing but guesswork.
So, what you need is a source for reference, e.g. the original album - and then enter that information manually.
What do your filenames look like? How did you name your folders? All this information can (probably) be used to fill the metadata.

"Automatic" tagging is a frequently issued request but still in the laboratory phase and will come right after the invention of the space-time-jump :wink: