Tag several files from filenames

I can't get this to work.
Ive got a batch of files which have the filename format "songtitle - artist.mp3" and I'm trying to tag several files to give me the track title, the artist, the album name and the year, plus attaching the artwork.
Obviously the album, the year and the artwork are the same for all the files in the batch I am trying to convert.
Having selected all the files in the directory (folder) I tried "Filename-tag" but I could not get the column marked "Title" to populate.
The filename string as above is %title%%artist% which, if I understand it correctly should split my filename at the "-" point giving "songtitle" in the title column, and "Artist" in the artist column - right?
I then add the album, the year and the artwork in the left hand panel, hit "save" and that should be it.
What am I doing wrong. I've even tried removing all the tags and starting again but it still will not work properly.
I should point out that these are manually gernerated, "Non-intelligent" filenames, since these have been converted from vinyl albums and/or cassettes, not ripped from CD's
I'm using the very latest version for the first time and it's really puzzling me.

If the filename is "songtitle - artist.mp3" the format string must be "%title% - %artist%"

I hope this is self explanatory:

Filename ......: "Artist - Title.mp3"

Formatstring ..: "%artist%%title%"
Tag artist ....: ""
Tag title .....: "Artist - Title"

Formatstring ..: "%artist%-%title%"
Tag artist ....: "Artist "
Tag title .....: " Title"

Formatstring ..: "%artist% - %title%"
Tag artist ....: "Artist"
Tag title .....: "Title"

DD.20080325.1625