Tag transfer problem

Hello,

I am searching for a way to transfer multiple files' metadata to other files.
I know about the possibility to copy tags, but the problem is that I want to copy only the ARTIST tag and not everything.

I abandoned the idea that Mp3tag supports this natively so I tried to solve this via "Actions". The problem here ist that Actions are not suited to work across multiple files (i.e. transfer data from one tag to another).

So I tried to split the script into two parts and let the TRACK field behave as comunicator. I tried to export "$filename(txt,utf-16)%artist%" to "$num(%track%,2).txt" and wanted to import the contents from the corresponding files, but this only created one file for the first track and not for each track.

The other attempt was to write the artist tags into one file and then script that with regex. But I don't how to read the contents of a file and format them with format strings ...

Does anyone have another idea how I can achieve what I'm searching for? Thanks.

Export is the right way here. Try:

$filename(txt,utf-16)$loop(%_path%)%artist%
$loopend()

That should give you a text file with one line for each file.
You can import that text file into other files with the textfile-tag-converter. Your formatstring there would be:
%artist%

It is important that the files are sorted in the same order at export and import. You could avoid the sorting problem if you are somehow able to include the filenames of the new files at the export from the old files. Then the textfile-tag converter would be able to use %_path% instead of the fileorder to assosiate the lines to the files.

btw:
via Actions as well as via Export is "natively" in Mp3tag

Thanks, this is what I've been searching for.

You could avoid the sorting problem if you are somehow able to include the filenames of the new files at the export from the old files. Then the textfile-tag converter would be able to use %_path% instead of the fileorder to assosiate the lines to the files.

Can you provide a sample export? I can't seem to get this to work properly

Clarence

There are many related topics covered in the forum ...
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:forums...25+textfile+tag

For a simple example ... read there ...
/t/13059/1

How to create a report text file read there ...
http://help.mp3tag.de/options_export.html

DD.20120313.0715.CET