Tagging Questions I can't find answers to:

Hi all, I think I may need to rethink my tagging regime as I am having a few issues with my players.
I'm afraid I thought I could wing it and clear up any problems on the fly. This has been partly successful but I think I may have fallen foul of the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" rule :flushed::slight_smile: .
Let me explain my situation:
I have some 13780 tracks from 3938 albums.
Some are in .flac format where I have an original high quality copy (CD) ripped using Easy CD.
The rest are in .mp3 format.
I have them on my computer in the following file structure:
My Music/Home Library/FLAC/ARTIST/ALBUM/Track.flac
My Music/Home Library/MP3/ARTIST/ALBUM/Track.mp3
I play them using WinAmp on my PC and Squeezbox Touch/Server on my music system.
Now my requirements:
I wish to be able to brows and play my music by Album, Artist (including individual artists on compilations, Album Artist, Genre, Year and playlists.
Most of this is fairly obvious and works just fine.
The thing I seem to have trouble with is differentiating Album Artist and Track Artist. Mainly in Squeezebox Server.
This manifests itself in several ways, the main ones being

1. unable to brows artists that only exist in Various Artists Albums. (I think this is more a player issue than tagging)
  2. sometimes I get two copies of one album. The tags when I drill down in my player shows Album Artist in one and Band/Composer in the other.

I would also like to know more about tagging in general especially the differences between mp3 and flac files. Especially in relation to Mp3Tag.

My Questions:

1. Is there a definitive site I can visit that gives a "mp3 and flac tags for dummies" explanation?
  2. In Mp3Tag when you set a tag to does it delete the whole Tag or just the data leaving the tag placeholder with no data?
  3. What Tags do I need to use to satisfy my requirements in both the mp3 and flac files?
a. Are they different in each case? b. Do I need the "Band" tag, how does it relate to Artist and or Album Artist? c. I notice in Mp3Tag one Tag called "ALBUM ARTIST" and one called "ALBUMARTIST" what is the difference and which one should I use? d.Is the BAND Tag relevant? e.In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Mpeg. What setting should I use for Read, Write and Remove? f.In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Ape, Mpc... What setting should I use for Read, Write and Remove? g. In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Mapping. Do I need to map any tags between mp3 and flac and or vice versa?
I'm sorry to be so verbose here but I have spent months on Google, searching this forum and others and experimenting but can't find a definitive answer to my questions. I'm happy to research so if the answer to question 1 can point me in the right direction with a simple explanation I'll be happy.

Many thanks for reading all the way down to hear and if you can help it would be much appreciated.
Regards
Clive

I'm no expert here, but what I have found about a number of tags is that there is poor standardization between different applications/platforms/devices. You raise the example of "albumartist". Foobar uses a TXXX:Album Artist frame while many other apps use the TPE2 frame (MP3Tag masks some of the frame names/types with it's aliases, so you just see them as albumartist and album artist).

A couple of resources that might be helpful to you in working out which thing is doing what are the mapping tables provided by MP3Tag and Picard:
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/PicardTagMapping
These tables outline which frames different platforms use for different purposes under different aliases. But keep in mind that different platforms also have a tendency to step all over each others' tags.

I honestly don't know enough about the details of your situation to judge. I suspect that one of the things that might help is to cross-copy some of the tags between different frames to support the Squeezebox. You can do this with a custom Actions feature of MP3Tag-- you can use the 'Format value' action to copy from one field to another.

Many thanks gnatd, the links look useful and should help me.
The standardisation, as you say, is poor and I'm having trouble getting my mind around what tags are supported by what flie types let alone different apps :astonished: .
I have used the cutstom actions in Mp3Tag so happy with that.
I did have a situation where I had ARTIST copied to BAND and ALBUM ARTIST to ALBUMARTIST.
To be honest this seemed to work but I though there must be a better way than to duplicate tags all over the place?

Think I have most of my answers now....

1. Is there a definitive site I can visit that gives a "mp3 and flac tags for dummies" explanation?
No just vkeep searching and piecing it all together :-(
2. In Mp3Tag when you set a tag to does it delete the whole Tag or just the data leaving the tag placeholder with no data?
It deletes it
3. What Tags do I need to use to satisfy my requirements in both the mp3 and flac files?
ALBUM ALBUMARTIST TITLE and COMPILATION as a minimum.
a. Are they different in each case?
Yes but Mp3Tag maps them for you
b. Do I need the "Band" tag, how does it relate to Artist and or Album Artist? No
c. I notice in Mp3Tag one Tag called "ALBUM ARTIST" and one called "ALBUMARTIST" what is the difference and which one should I use?
ALBUMARTIST (They were mapped anyway)
d.Is the BAND Tag relevant? No

e.In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Mpeg. What setting should I use for Read, Write and Remove?
f.In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Ape, Mpc... What setting should I use for Read, Write and Remove?
g. In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Mapping. Do I need to map any tags between mp3 and flac and or vice versa?
For e,f & g See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide

Just thought I'd post my finding in case anyone else has similar questions.
Regards to all
Clive

b+d: I'd say you DO need the band tag if you don't want to have samplers split up so that they appear as some dozens of albums. WMP and Itunes uses the (old) band tag (now it is named albumartist) to group tracks in a single album although there are more than one artist for all the tracks.

e: Let MP3tag read everything but write only V2.3, no APE. Let MP3tag delete every kind of tag. APE tags usually cause trouble.
f: refer to e.

Yep that's pretty much what it says in the wiki I refered to.
I don't use ther band tag explicitly but I believe that is what it becomes in flac files?
By setting the tag COMPILATION =1 I get all artists in artist view but only one of each album in album view.