Hi all, I think I may need to rethink my tagging regime as I am having a few issues with my players.
I'm afraid I thought I could wing it and clear up any problems on the fly. This has been partly successful but I think I may have fallen foul of the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" rule .
Let me explain my situation:
I have some 13780 tracks from 3938 albums.
Some are in .flac format where I have an original high quality copy (CD) ripped using Easy CD.
The rest are in .mp3 format.
I have them on my computer in the following file structure:
My Music/Home Library/FLAC/ARTIST/ALBUM/Track.flac
My Music/Home Library/MP3/ARTIST/ALBUM/Track.mp3
I play them using WinAmp on my PC and Squeezbox Touch/Server on my music system.
Now my requirements:
I wish to be able to brows and play my music by Album, Artist (including individual artists on compilations, Album Artist, Genre, Year and playlists.
Most of this is fairly obvious and works just fine.
The thing I seem to have trouble with is differentiating Album Artist and Track Artist. Mainly in Squeezebox Server.
This manifests itself in several ways, the main ones being
- unable to brows artists that only exist in Various Artists Albums. (I think this is more a player issue than tagging)
- sometimes I get two copies of one album. The tags when I drill down in my player shows Album Artist in one and Band/Composer in the other.
I would also like to know more about tagging in general especially the differences between mp3 and flac files. Especially in relation to Mp3Tag.
- Is there a definitive site I can visit that gives a "mp3 and flac tags for dummies" explanation?
- In Mp3Tag when you set a tag to does it delete the whole Tag or just the data leaving the tag placeholder with no data?
- What Tags do I need to use to satisfy my requirements in both the mp3 and flac files?
a. Are they different in each case? b. Do I need the "Band" tag, how does it relate to Artist and or Album Artist? c. I notice in Mp3Tag one Tag called "ALBUM ARTIST" and one called "ALBUMARTIST" what is the difference and which one should I use? d.Is the BAND Tag relevant? e.In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Mpeg. What setting should I use for Read, Write and Remove? f.In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Ape, Mpc... What setting should I use for Read, Write and Remove? g. In Mp3Tag under Options>Tags>Mapping. Do I need to map any tags between mp3 and flac and or vice versa?I'm sorry to be so verbose here but I have spent months on Google, searching this forum and others and experimenting but can't find a definitive answer to my questions. I'm happy to research so if the answer to question 1 can point me in the right direction with a simple explanation I'll be happy.
Many thanks for reading all the way down to hear and if you can help it would be much appreciated.