Tagging

Hi to anyone out there.. I apologise in advance if this topic/query has been covered before, I couldn't find what I was looking for and perhaps through a lack of knowledge overlooked it in other topics.

The Problem I'd like help with is quite simple..

If I have an .MP3 file which has a filename (for example)

02 - ABBA - The Name Of The Game.mp3

and the tag information such as 'Title' is exactly the same but without the track number or extension (like this)

ABBA - The Name Of The Game

but the 'Artist' Section it's been filled with 'Various'

What action do I take, to get information from the 'Filename' in order to fill the 'Title' with just the title of the song.. and fill the 'Artist' with just the artist..

I realise this will have some form of string attached to it to do this, but I am totally flummoxed as to how.. is there a string/command that enables me to copy text before or after a separator and apply that to a given field perhaps? is that a way to do it...

I'm hoping someone can help.. I am a fairly well educated man and whilst my knowledge of 'tagging' is limited I am happy to learn in order to save time.. I am a stickler for well maintained music files.. and this would help me not have to sit tirelessly going through albums which have not been tagged properly.

Thanks in advance

Mark

There are different ways to handle that.
At first:
'Various' is something that should be in the albumartist-tag if ypou have samplers or albums with different artists, not in the artist tag.

In your example you can build up your tags from the filename.
Action-type: Guess values
Source format: %_filename%
Guessing pattern: %track% - %artist% - %title%

Brilliant.. thank you so much..

I am stickler for tagging and I would of spent hours and hours making sure the correct data was in the right field.. and indeed yes i do like to implement (on a multi artist album) that 'album artist' is always filled with 'Various Artists'. My friends and family think i#m bonkers for being so meticulous and I have to admit I do suffer from slight OCD.. but irrespective of that a large collection must be maintained well and tagging is a very important part of that.

Thank you again

Regards

Mark