Tags not correctly read by other programs

As suggested in the sticky, I have tried to enable the option (x) ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 at Options > Tags > Mpeg and after to save the tags again. I have also tried all other options including enabling ID3v2.4 UTF-8, ID3v2.3 UTF-16 and deselecting writing ID3v1 tag after erasing it. With all of these attempts, there were problems in reading the tags by the following programs:

1. Windows XP Pro sp2, while displaying Winamp in the task bar would show ???'s even though Winamp itself could read the tag properly; Windows explorer would show the file name properly but not show the song name and/or artist during a mouse over.

2. Mozilla Thunderbird (email client) would not send an attachment file with a name with Cyrillic characters.

3. ONES (Optical New Edge Storage - a disk burning client) would not burn a backup disk with file names containing Cyrillic characters.

I realize 2 and 3 may have nothing to do with the tags but just lack of support for Unicode in these two applications but Windows should be able to read the ID3v2 tag info or is there some system setting that I should change?