Tags not shown or updated

Trying 3.01 and 3.01a (beta). Neither is showing tags or allowing them to be edited.

I can send a sample mp3 if needed.

I'd send a screenshot, but not sure how to do that in this forum...

Could you check if you have APE tags in the files?
And then see what the settings are in Tools>Options>Tags>Mpeg esp. for APE?
It could be that you see empty APE tags - but you don't save them.

Thank you for your reply.
How do I attach screenshots?

See the toolbar in the forum editor. One button has an arrow pointing upwards.
If in doubt, move the mouse slowly over the toolbar so that you see the bubble help.
Once you found the function, upload the file.

You can drag & drop your screenshot to an answer as well.

Windows "properties" on the left, mp3tag "properties" on the right.
mpeg options below.

I haven't had any issues until recently, been using the software for many years...

mp3tag mp3 options

The setting are looking correct, but you need to accruals delete tags once, so APE is gone.

I think: not quite.
If the OP wants to see the old ID3V2 tags again, he should switch off reading APE tags. This should let the old data reappear.
If he wants to see what is stored in the APE tags and whether it does not do any harm to delete them, he should keep the current settings but have a look at the extended tags dialogue - probably he will find a couple of REPLAYGAIN tags there.

But I agree: APE tags should be deleted as they cause nothing but trouble (see e.g. this thread).

I use ReplayGain all the time. Is there a bug that prevents id3 tags from showing after using ReplayGain?

Yes and no.
Replaygain writes only its own information into APE tags - and ignores other tag versions.
I think Replaygain can be set to write to ID3V2 tags - which would be the preferred way.
The problem with MP3tag and Replaygain is: in MP3tag APE tags are shown with priority over ID3V2 tags.
So the way would be to first use Replaygain and then MP3tag which also writes to APE tags.
Or you use Foobar and a replaygain add-on which writes to ID3V2.

So it could be an option to really delete all APE tags and recalculate all replay gain values with Foobar.

Thanks, @ohrenkino - you led me to the answer. Why are APE tags even used I wonder...

Unchecking APE in the read settings allows me to see the ID3 tags again. I thought though that because APE was checked to be "removed" it would remove the replay gain tags? It also doesn't look like it's removing the ID3v1 tags?

For everyone playing along... Here's what mp3Gain has to stay about this:

My tags ("Artist", "Title", etc.) are not working after using MP3Gain

MP3Gain stores "Analysis" and "Undo" information in special tags inside the mp3 file itself. These tags are in the APEv2 format. APEv2 tags are carefully designed to not interfere with other tag formats, such as the popular ID3v1 format.

Unfortunately, some mp3 players do not strictly adhere to the ID3v1 standard when reading tags. As a result, when MP3Gain writes its APEv2 tags, these mp3 players might get confused and try to read the MP3Gain tags instead of the regular ID3v1 tags such as "Artist", "Title", etc. As a result, the player will show random garbage in these fields.

(To be fair, the mp3 players that have this problem are actually probably trying to compensate for data corruption that can occur in mp3s due to bad encoders, incomplete downloads, etc.)

If you use MP3Gain and discover that your mp3 player has this problem, then here's what you need to do:

• Select "Options - Tags - Ignore (do not read or write tags)" from the MP3Gain menu. This will prevent MP3Gain from writing any more tags to your files.
  • To remove tags that MP3Gain has already written, simply load the affected mp3s into MP3Gain and do "Options - Tags - Remove Tags from files"

IMPORTANT
If you choose the "Options - Tags - Ignore" option, then you will not be able to automatically undo changes made by MP3Gain. You will still be able to undo any changes, but you will have to manually keep track of what changes you make to your files.

You have to use explicitly the function to remove tags with "Cut tags" or "Delete Tags" (context menu of the files list).

If you want to remove only teh APE tags ...
In Tools>Options>Tags>Mpeg
set APE to read and as the only one to "delete"
Load the files.
Select the files
Delete the tags.
APE should be gone.
Reset the options for tags reading in stuff back to the original settings.
Alternatively, you could run MP3val which does not like APE tags and categorizes them as "Garbage at end" and removes them also.

Gotcha. Maybe mp3tag should have a way to separate out the various distinct tags, so you can see the ID3 tags separately from the APE tags.