Tags: Selective Copy and Pasting?

Occasionally, I need to copy the tags from one album to another. I have read a relevant post here. Please tell me if is possible to copy or paste the tag information selectively. For instance, can I copy or paste only the tags of certain fields for e.g. the track Titles?

Thank you.

You can copy either the complete tag of a single file or a set of files to the clipboard and paste it to another set of files.
Or you can use the export function.
Of if you want to copy only a single title, then use the ordinary clipboard.

I cannot think of a case where only a single field needs updating in a set of files and in which the sequence of target files matches that of the source files ...
Could you enlighten me?

My apology, ohrenkino, I missed your response and hence did not reply sooner. Thank you for always being such a big help. I do not have an example of the foregoing to give you anymore, and next time I will try out your proposals first.

Thanks.

How about if you discover that more than one song were by
Artist A feat. Artist B
and you have a lot of
Artist A
songs that should be by described as
Artist A feat. Artist B
?

Or you finally know who wrote the lyrics to some of the songs, from different albums?

You can prepare an action, but in situation like I can imagine wanting me to do it by hand, making an evaluation first of each case

But also, as you said, it can be done by clipboard

Sorry to revive an old thread but I guess that is why we are told to search.

I have such a circumstance. I had a bunch of compilations album which catalogued 30 live shows. I then gave each song a separate album title reflecting the date the song was performed, as with this band I prefer to label albums by date chronologically.

I then changed my mind and just grouped the songs under the album name (30 Days of Dead), changing the album titles for each. But I realized I may yet find those original album titles useful, and wanted to paste them back from back up files. I could thenn easily move them to the sort album field or some custom field for later use. However those backup files did not contain other changes I had done since the backup, so I just want to paste the titles and nothing else.

This is just one example where this would be useful. There have been other instances where a selective paste would be really useful. Like ragtag, they are not readily accessible in my memory but I know there have been many times in the past where I wished there was a selective copy function. Sometimes as series of files just has that one field correct that you want to paste over but everything else should stay the same.

I am not sure that in the past 7 years this has been implemented but I suspect not by my search of this topic.

If ou want to assign only the album name from ALBUM to a bunch of files, then you could load the file with the correct name and all the files that should get this as a new name and then assign that data via the tag panel where you only set the data for ALBUM.
All other fields would remain unchanged.
A "many to many" function is not there (yet) - you would have to resort to the export and import via a text file.

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately the album names were different for each track so I cannot accomplish this with your first suggestion but I will explore the export functions. I do like the fact that you used the word "yet". Our wonderful developer is constantly honing this thing which is why I keep sending funds his way, as meager as my donations may be.

Maybe you can use the original backup files, copy them to a working temporary directory, then update the album details for these while keeping the original titles?

Thanks for the suggestion but it does not save work. I could just cut and past the dates again. But I think I may find another use for my mac. I could import into itunes and use Doug's script to copy different tags from one file to anther there and then export.