So as a side project I'm trying to offload my lyrics to a single-file HTML database via the export option.
What I've got so far is actually pretty good, I think.
When you load the exported HTML file. what you will see is an alphabetically sorted list of all the ARTISTs in your collection (sorted by %artistsort% if it exist, and %artist% if it doesn't).
When you click on a particular ARTIST, a previously hidden list of all their ALBUMS (sorted chronologically by year, and then %albumsort% if it exist, and %album% if it doesn't) appears.
When you click on a particular ALBUM, a previously hidden list of all the tracks on that album (sorted by %discnumber%, if it exists, and then %track%) appears.
When you click on a particular track TITLE, the lyrics appear.
Clicking on any ARTIST, ALBUM, or TRACK re-hides all the underlying content.
The visual format (expanded) is:
Year - Album
Disc No:Track No - Title
The export settings also look for the Compilation Album tag (%compilation%); and if they find it, they will list all applicable tracks by "Disc No:Track No - Title (Track Artists)".
What I still need to work on is adding an "Expand All" button up top. I'm not sure how to do it as I have Mp3tag create all the DIV ID's dynamically.
"Collapse All" is included as it is as easy as a refresh of the page.
I figured out the cause and solution for the glitch mentioned below, and the great news is it does not require ANY change to your tags. Everything is handled on-the-fly, and better yet, there is no stripping of apostrophes or quotations marks from either the original tags OR the output html!
Also, I need to work out a solution to a glitch occurring with any Artist, Album or Track that contains Apostrophes (') or Quotes (") which prevents you from revealing any of the hidden content for that Artist, Album or Track.
One solutions is, prior to export, remove all the Apostrophes and Quotes from your tag data. Not an ideal solution, but one that can easily be automated and non-destructive if you set up an action that creates alternative tag fields such as "ARTISTSAFE", "ALBUMSAFE", and "TITLESAFE" that you first copy the un-edited tag data to, before removing the Apostrophes and Quotes from "ARTIST", "ALBUM" and "TITLE" (as well as "ARTISTSORT" and the other -SORTs if you use them). After you export, you just copy the data back to their original tag fields and delete the -SAFE tags.
*I've use this method above to simplify my tags to make it easier to download lyrics but still save my more detailed track descriptions. I'll post on that later...
A preferred solution would be to figure out a way to strip Apostrophes and Quotes from the tag export output ONLY (not changing the original tags), or replace them with something else "on-the-fly" during the export.
Not sure how to approach that, though.