The first selected file?

Hello

I'd like a feature (which I believe is not present) allowing the referral to the tags of the first file in the selection.

The reason is that often the tags for classical music are written in this way:

Liszt: Beethoven Transcriptions, Symphony No.2 in D major, op.36 - I. Adagio molto - Allegro con brio
II. Larghetto
III. Scherzo Allegro - Trio - Scherzo da capo
IV. Allegro molto

The procedure to cut the "author/symphony" part, put it somewhere (I put it in the Album tag) and then select the files, and assign the same album to the other files, is long and repetitive.

If a placeholder like %title0% is allowed, it would be easy to build an action like:
Guess values. Source format: %title0% Guessing pattern: %artist%: %album% - %dummy%

This would set the same artist and album for all the selected files.

In my opinion this could be a nice feature, that would improve an already wonderful program. (Please let me spend one word about that: this is a very, very intelligent program: whatever is logical, even if hidden, is already in it... E.g. select a group of files/copy/select another group of files/paste -> the tags are copied onto them! Perfect for different versions of the same music! It is logical, and it is there! I really admire it!)

Marco

I also need this frequently. You can do this using an action that output the tags of the first selected file (Export with $loop(%dummy%,1) ) and a second action that imports them to all selected files (Import textfile). Though this doesn't work in a single Action Group, as two Groups it is still a big time-saver.

Hello chrisjj

Thank you for your nice workaround! Still I think that being allowed to access the tags of a particular file in the group could offer an unique versatility, without too much programming effort (as far as I can figure).

It could be interesting to use tags like %Title(0)% or %Title(expr)%... it would offer a great versatility. I can figure a script to do the work of tagging the kind of tags in the example above automatically just selecting ALL the files.

The idea:

if there's something before a roman number
     write %_counter% in a temp tag
else
     copy the value in the previous temp tag

After that you could use the value in the temporary tag as the index of the tag to be used for the album. %title(%temp_tag%)% then is the "header" title to be copied (in part) in the next ALBUM tags.

Example:

Symphony No.1 I. adagio
II. allegro
III. andante
Symphony No.2 I. allegretto
II. lento
III. allegro con brio

->

TMP       Title
1         Symphony No.1 I. adagio
1         II. allegro
1         III. andante
4         Symphony No.2 I. allegretto
4         II. lento
4         III. allegro con brio

-> (the value in the TMP tag is the index of the file with the correct information)

Album           Title
Symphony No.1   I. adagio
Symphony No.1   II. allegro
Symphony No.1   III. andante
Symphony No.2   I. allegretto
Symphony No.2   II. lento
Symphony No.2   III. allegro con brio

Nice uh? :laughing:

Marco

Still I think that being allowed to access the tags of a
particular file in the group could offer an unique versatility

Agreed...

without too much programming effort (as far as I can figure).

But your code example would also need a load of new scripting support, not least tag write.

I'd really prefer a fix to the Action Export sequence issue - then you could run your code as an Export config (using $putv/$getv - though don't try loop(HERE) ) plus an Import. And again right now you can do this as two separate steps.