Unicode Support

In the new Foobar2000 0.9 betas, its become apparent that ISO 8859-1 support was removed for ID3v2 tag writing. Now it is only possible to write Unicode tags in Foobar, which leads to MP3Tag being unable to see them.

Instead of all the minor bugfixes and such, I think its about time Unicode support got added to MP3Tag before Foobar 0.9 reaches a final build and starts getting more usage by the public. I don't particuarly like other tagging programs and its shame that I might have to leave MP3Tag if it can't handle Unicode tags.

Yes, I know adding Unicode support would take awhile because of the pretty large codebase, but the more it keeps getting put off, the bigger MP3Tag's codebase will get in the future with the minor additions and changes, and the longer it will take for Unicode support in the end.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

If that is true about only foobar 0.9+ unicode tag writing then:

I too use foobar, and will continue to use foobar. I also (obviously) use Mp3Tag too. But if I have to choose over one of these two, then I'm gonna stick with foobar. I think many people would do the same.

Of course, if I don't use any tagging functionality in foobar then there's no problem, but I know I will if only cos foobar is open most of the time and little updates (for what I do with it) are easy to make like that.

I know that florian has said many times that he doesn't want to add unicode support... it's a dilemma :frowning:

I don't use Foobar's tagging functionality either, so I'd been considering this to be a non-issue for me.

Just now, however, it dawned on me that I do use Foobar's ReplayGain scanner on all my files, and since RG values are written to tags, I suppose it will become an issue after all, unless it's the case that RG values are like Year field values, being unaffected by such changes.

Jim

The problem is foobar2000 is well above all the other audio players for Windows in my opinion. There is no replacement for it. On the other hand, there are a handful of other tagging applications that do support unicode, so MP3Tag is replacable. :frowning:

Nope. Writing RG tags converts the tags from ISO 8859-1 to Unicode. I remember I done it once. I ReplayGained my entire music collection only to find MP3Tag would no longer read the tags.

I'm now working for 5 days almost night and day to get Unicode working with Mp3tag. At the moment there are almost 1500 compiler errors left (nothing said about the real bugs that will occur), but I'm still optimistic :slight_smile:

It will be a long run to the next Development Build, but please be patient and stay tuned :wink:

Best regards,
~ Florian

That really is excellent news Florian.
Whilst I don't need to use unicode at the moment (altho as already said, it seems that when foobar changes in v0.9+ I will need to), many people do (and many people use foobar). In a few weeks/months when you've managed to include unicode support I think your baby, aka 'Mp3Tag', will reach new heights and many more people will start to use it. I think Mp3Tag will become THE stand-alone tagging software of choice. All of that can only be a very good thing.

Good luck and I hope it's not too much hard work.

Thanks for the motivating feedback!

Best regards,
~ Florian

P.S.: It's much hard work, but I hope it's worth the trouble :slight_smile:

Awesome! :w00t:

Have you ever thought about opening up the source to get other people's help with implemented unicode support? Either way, good luck and we're all looking forward to the next Development Build. :wink:

Way to go Florian, all the best and success! :slight_smile:

i've just registered to this forum (to report the problem with taggin in f2k) and i'm happy to read this because Mp3tag is the best tagger i used - the others have to many/to little options - this is my main tool for music archiving together with the best player - f2k - and i was a bit dissapointed when i discovered problems with reading unicode tags in Mp3tag but in this case i wait for next release - thank u florian for your really good job!

unicode in tags is definitely worth the trouble!

Unicode support is now available in the Development Build :slight_smile:

For those of us who do not need Unicode tags, will it write in Unicode anyway? Is it just a quick setting to not write in Unicode? I'm afraid of hardware incompabilities.

There's an option to write ISO-8859-1 instead of Unicode.

Is there or will there be an option to convert ISO tags to Unicode, or will we just have to make some change in the tag data to have them saved as Unicode?

By the way, I'm not a programmer, so I can't even imagine the amount of work it took to add Unicode support in such a short span of time, but I'd like Florian to know I really appreciate his effort!

Thanks,

Jim

Just save the Tags again (Ctrl+S)