v2.85b is slow

285b is very slow & seems like not working properly. Jerky would be how I describe.

Win7 Ultimate 8 gig ram. Went back one version & fast as always

Any more details you can share on your setup? Are you running a portable or standard installation? Are you using a local or networked user profile?

Edit: I've tested on Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 and Windows 10 and had better performance compared to the previous versions. If you have any idea, it's welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks!

— Florian

Standard, local profile just installed over last version. 20 files takes longer (to list, to rename-to refresh) on 2.85B than 10,000 on last version. Over the many years only had a few hiccups. Short while ago version removed all my settings including the folders. Good job I keep a backup.
Win 7 ultimate, 8 gigs ram no changes last few years.
thanks Florian.. this is just info that may help others

Still trying to find out what is causing the slow-down. Do you have a anti-virus software running that is very busy at %APPDATA%\Mp3tag\data\library ? Or do you have files with large cover art?

Thanks for any pointers you can give!

— Florian

Can you also try with v2.85c?

Thanks!

– Florian

just got 285D
Fast as always thanks Florian

Thanks! Glad it's back to normal.

Tried E but crawling.... so slow

now using v2.85 (Ligtning fast)

all that came after are much slower.

I use Mp3Tag to always remove embedded art so no large pix.

As an experiment loaded 100 files with version E took 20 seconds to change genre.

2.85 was so fast like a blink

Still trying to understand this more. The latest builds are more heavy on the hard-disk than previous versions which stored everything in memory. But a semi-decent HDD should be able to cope with the load and not give this huge decrease in speed.

Are you running any other HDD-demanding tasks?

Any chance of getting some more information here? Have you tried v2.85h yet?

Kind regards
— Florian

Hi Florian for the first time in years I turned off updating notifications as last few versions so slow.

2.85H is FAST like normal. Thanks for the ongoing work

I went back to 2.85 because the newer versions, including the latest one, were awfully slow. I am running W10 on i7.

2.85 did not have the library feature if I am correct.
Using the library feature follows the requirements for databases which means that the system runs faster the better the individual elements get separate resources.

I have the same data on a system with MP3tag and the library on an SSD and the audio files on an internal SATA HDD.
Reading the data for the whole collection with far more than 100,000 files takes no more than 8 minutes (as it reads mainly the library).

Reading the same data on a portable installation where MP3tag, the library and the collection are stored on an external HDD connected via USB3 takes more than 4 hours.

So I would check if switching on and off the library feature improves the performance on your system.

Files with questionable integrity also slow down the data acquisition.