Weird - mp3tag deleted my music??

I wanted to redo the tags for a particular artist. My music is held on a NAS and in the format /music/artist/album/song.mp3 - I used mp3tag to redo the tags and this seemed to work fine. I go back to the directories and all the music is now gone from just the directories I chose!!

Weirdly, all the music still shows up in mp3tag though. I've restarted mp3tag and it's still all there, refreshed it and it's still there but there's definitely nothing in the folder any more. I've double checked with windows explorer, itunes and from the command line.

Any clues??

Could it be a permissions thing? I can't believe it would be allowed to delete the files but not write them. Can I somehow write the files to a more local location and then copy them across?

Did you use mp3tag "convert tag to filename" function by any chance. If so, this would have moved your files (but not deleted them). Select a file in mp3tag, right click, choose "extended tags" then at the top of the popup box, it should display the path/location of the file you've selected. That should be the location of the files on your computer or NAS.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't recall using that option but I did try a number of buttons until I realized I needed to have the songs highlighted before it would do anything with them. I tried your approach but it shows "Tags ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID£v2.3) - Z\Music\PJ Harvey\Is this desire\01.Angelene.mp3" I had to type this out by hand as I couldn't copy it. The Z drive is where I expect the music to be but there's nothing there any more :frowning:

Directory of Z:\Music\PJ Harvey\Is this desire

11/25/2015  09:34 AM    <DIR>          .
12/12/2015  08:05 PM    <DIR>          ..
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  251,732,852,736 bytes free

Z:\Music\PJ Harvey\Is this desire>

Or am I missing something?

Mike

QUOTE (mike_bike_kite @ Dec 13 2015, 11:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't recall using that option but I did try a number of buttons until I realized I needed to have the songs highlighted before it would do anything with them. I tried your approach but it shows "Tags ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID£v2.3) - Z\Music\PJ Harvey\Is this desire\01.Angelene.mp3" I had to type this out by hand as I couldn't copy it. The Z drive is where I expect the music to be but there's nothing there any more :frowning:
Directory of Z:\Music\PJ Harvey\Is this desire

11/25/2015  09:34 AM    <DIR>          .
12/12/2015  08:05 PM    <DIR>          ..
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  251,732,852,736 bytes free

Z:\Music\PJ Harvey\Is this desire>

Or am I missing something?

Mike

you say it is:
Z\Music\PJ Harvey\Is this desire\01.Angelene.mp3

Is it really Z: (colon after Z) and your post was just a typo?

I assume in mp3tag when you click on a file and try to edit the file, it lets you edit the file? That means that the file is actually there on the drive (and not deleted). Why they are not showing I have no idea.

If you have the field for the current directory in the tag panel, you can see which folder MP3tag is currently reading.
I assume that somewhere in the filesystem, you find a folder "Z" with all the music files.

I find the approach "I don't recall using that option but I did try a number of buttons" very interesting.

Exactly, if you don't know where to look, post some screen shots of the Mp3tag Window.

+1 as that is when mistakes can happen (and probably happened)

@mike. Personally I would never edit files directly on the NAS but that is just a personal preference.

Sorry for the slow reply. Here's a screen shot of the location.

I have a lot of computers on my local network, the NAS is used for files accessed by other computers.
I have a bunch of drives on my local PC but none are called Z.
There's nothing I can see that corresponds to the directory in the image.
It's obviously reading something otherwise nothing would be shown.
The program did read from the correct directory originally.
But I'm just not sure where it's written stuff to now.
Is there no way I can get it to default to the same directory? or add a subdir called mp3tag etc? or just give it a directory?

Any ideas where I should look or can I write the files to a specified directory?

Unless you specify something else, any file is kept in the directory where it came from.
So you really have to scan your local environment or trace back the actions you took to lose the files.

Mike_nl and me had a couple of suggestions. What did you find out?

Here is another one: select any file.
Press Alt-1 to open the function Tag-Filename
Check if the last pattern is displayed that you might have used to move the files.
If not: open the drop-down list and see if you can find it in the list.
THen try to locate that path in the filesystem.
(Oh yes: to not click OK but click Cancel)

You're right however a new user to the program would have the same issues as myself:

• You select the directory you want and see the music on the right
  • You adjust the tag fields on the left - I needed to change artist and album.
  • You press update - oh there isn't an update button, actually there's nothing obvious to press at all.
  • I found the save button - pressed that and nothing happened.
  • I then tried a few possible buttons.
  • Eventually realised the tracks needed to be highlighted.
  • Pressed the save button ... and all my files disappeared.
  • Then came on here :unsure:
Obviously you can put it down to user error but from a user interface point of view it might of been better to tell the user to highlight things rather than just stay quiet when the user presses save and nothing is highlighted.

Weirdly, I went into UNIX shell on the NAS and did a "du -a | grep Harvey" which would scan all my directories for PJ Harvey. The directories I expected came up but I can see the mp3 files when I do an "ls". These files do not show in Windows explorer. Itunes doesn't see them either when I try and load songs in that directory. I tried adding a small test file via unix and it showed up fine in windows explorer but still no mp3 files! I admit I'm a bit puzzled by this.

Update 1: After further investigation I've found that if the directories and files on the NAS are set to all (777 in Unix) then the files don't show. If you remove execute permission then they do show! I've now changed the permission to 666 which is read/write to everyone.

Update 2: it appears to be slightly more complex than this, I'm wondering if it's some windows security update that's altering what's viewable. Anyway the problem is not with mp3tag so thank you for your help.

PS I'm very impressed with the prompt responses your forum provides to questions. Many thanks.