Why does the thumbnails not show when i plug in my TV or Xbox

Hi

I have added artwork to all my music and MP4 however, when i plug the gharddrive into my samsung Tv or Xbox S Series it does not show the album artwork, the same as MP4s

Added by embedding the artwork to the media files? Perhaps your devices don’t look at that. Try a folder or two with a separate cover.jpg or folder.jpg image and see if that works. If so you can use mp3tag tome port each album cover within the same folder.

Thank you for the reply. So would I need to have a folder withe the jpg in as the same name of the file or labelled as cover.jpg

Sorry new to this. The covers show on my pc but not on my TV or xbox

Could you first check if the covers are actually embedded in the files?
Use the filter
%_covers% MISSING
This should not show any files.
If all the covers are embedded, fine. If not, try that first.
If it does not help, then one possible way would be to create a folder per album and add a file called "folder.jpg" to that folder.

Hi sorry please could you put it simple im not great at pc. I do apologise.

I use the mp3 tag which embeds them and the files on the pc show the cover art but not my xbox or tv

Yes, I already know that. The topic shows it and your first post.
How do you embed the covers?
And could you please check if the files that you use on the player really have embedded pictures?
The easiest way would be to use the described filter.
If you are not sure how to use a filter, press F1 and look at the help.

thank you for your reply, i have done that, and the arrt is all embedded into the files of the mp4 and mp3

I have to take your word for it.

If the files still don't show anything, the following has to be found out:
What kind of pictures to you embed? Is this a supported picture type like jpg or png?
If jpg: are these pictures in progressive mode? If so, you probably need to transform them to ordinary files.
Does the player support the dimensions and byte-size of the pictures?
Does the player have a cache or a database where it stores tag data?
If so, update those.
If that does lead to any success, try to rename a file prior letting the player access it so that the player considers it to be a new file.
If that also fails, you can try to put the files of the separate albums into separate folders and add a file called "folder.jpg" to it that shows the cover.

thank you for your reply, if i plug my SSD into my PC and i look at the files it all comes up with the pictures of the songs and the films etc, but when i plug into the xbox or the tv it dont seem to show, the folder idea you suggest with the jpg in it works on the kodi app but not vlc ( as the image is to large and cant see the cover or title, shame i cant send you screen shots

I have found many TVs do not show the thumbnail images for audio or video files, only pictures. So that may not be something you can fix.

Xbox if I recall correctly uses the same engine as Windows Media Player. So you will need a folder.jpg image in each album folder on your drive. You can use mp3tag to do this for you. Look for the option to export covers.

TBO: I doubt that.
I asked you so many questions and outlined so many possible ways how to see the pictures... AFAICT we have come so far that you say that the covers are embedded in the files.
THis leaves:
What kind of pictures to you embed? Is this a supported picture type like jpg or png?
If jpg: are these pictures in progressive mode? If so, you probably need to transform them to ordinary files.
Does the player support the dimensions and byte-size of the pictures?
Does the player have a cache or a database where it stores tag data?
If so, update those.
If that does lead to any success, try to rename a file prior letting the player access it so that the player considers it to be a new file.
If that also fails, you can try to put the files of the separate albums into separate folders and add a file called "folder.jpg" to it that shows the cover.

hi

thank you for your reply,

im not computer savvy in regards to the things you have suggested, so i can only apologise on that score. the images are of Jpg and not large files, i have no idea what you mean by progressive. i have no ides what the player on the Xbox supports and i have no idea about cache. i dont know how to update any of these. i dont know if you have an xbox or not but you could see for yourself, via using Vlc and using the movies app from microsoft or the media player, and you will see that it dont work.

also i have top gun as Mp4 now i have added the cover for that using mp3tag, however its not showing on the xbox shows a thumbnail preview of the film, not the cover art that i have inserted through mp3 tag. im going to try the folder part now

But this would mean that right now MP3tag is out as you already found out that the covers are present (embedded) in the files - the part where MP3tag has any influence on the files.
All other functions are down to the players. And if you cannot coax them to display the covers, then that's it.

Hi pal, so I had a little breakthrough the embedding has worked in a different app, I just need to change the ratio of pictures. Especially for the mp4 files

Thank you pal