Why some of my custom tags stored in UPPERCASE and others in lowercase?

Greetings to community!!! :slight_smile:

I have make some custom tags for my mp3 files and when I check them, for example using MediaInfo or Audacity, I notice that some of them are in UPPERCASE and others in lowercase!!! Any idea why is this happening? Should I do something when I am creating them?

Thank you in advance!!! :slight_smile:

Could you show us some examples, maybe with a screenshot?

Just press ALT+T on one of your selected Tracks and let us know, where do you see this for your custom tags.

Or can you only see this outside Mp3tag?

When I do ALT+T in mp3tag they all look UPPERCASE. But in any other program, like MediaInfo or Audacity some of them shown in UPPERCASE others in lowercase!!!

Mp3tag

MediaInfo

Audacity

Do you have created all this custom tags with Mp3tag?
And you have initially created it in ALL UPPERCASE?

You've most likely created the fields via direct editing in the file list and used a non-uppercase field name in the column configuration, e.g., %MyField% vs. %MYFIELD%

Yes with Mp3tag and no all in lowercase!!!

Wait now I am totally confused with "direct editing" you said... What is the "correct" way to do that?

There is noting wrong with direct editing in the file list, i.e., delayed double click to enter editing mode. It's perfectly fine to do it this way :slight_smile:

What I meant was that the way you've set up the column for the custom field via View → Columns... determines the way the field name is written to the file. If you use %MyField% as Field in the configuration, it would use MyField when writing the custom tag to the file. If you use %MYFIELD%, MYFIELD is written.

This is purely cosmetic and doesn't make a difference from a technical perspective. If you want consistency, I'd use all uppercase field names — because the extended tag dialog and the Tag Panel also use those.

I noticed that if I change the value of a custom tag by hand, then this tag in other programs looks lowercase. But if it get value using an action I have made, this tag in other programs looks UPPERCASE!!!

Here is my action...

[#0]
T=7
F=%comment%
1=%dummy%;%real bitrate%;%spectrum frequency%;%silence in sec%;%clipping per cent%;%max clipping%;

[#1]
T=5
1=%real bitrate% kbit/s
F=REAL BITRATE

[#2]
T=5
1=%spectrum frequency% Hz
F=SPECTRUM FREQUENCY

[#3]
T=5
1=%silence in sec% sec
F=SILENCE IN SEC

[#4]
T=5
1=%dummy%
F=COMMENT

Yes, this is because the Format value action type uses field names in uppercase by default (you can also see that from the configuration you've posted).

So all this happened because when I made my Action, the Field: field of Format Value, forced me to type in UPPERCASE!!! So, I had to open my Action with an editor and type all F values like this:

[#0]
T=7
F=%comment%
1=%dummy%;%Real Bitrate%;%Spectrum Frequency%;%Silence In Secs%;%Clipping Per Cent%;%Max Clipping%;

[#1]
T=5
1=%real bitrate% kbit/s
F=Real Bitrate

[#2]
T=5
1=%spectrum frequency% Hz
F=Spectrum Frequency

[#3]
T=5
1=%silence in sec% sec
F=Silence In Secs

[#7]
T=5
1=%dummy%
F=Comment

Now it's "OK" but every time I edit my action, F values get UPPERCASE again!!! :slightly_frowning_face:
Can something be done about this in one of your updates, or is it not considered so important?

The name of the field is irrelevant really, it is the content that matters. However more importantly, none of these custom tags will be usable in any of the common media players. So essentially anything you are doing with them is strictly for your own use. So how you address this is totally up to you.

Okay!!! Thank you all for your time!!! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.