Windows, Matroska, Global Title, emoji, auto-deleted by Mp3tag

Windows, Matroska (eg. *.mkv), emojis.

If the MKV file has emojis in its Global Title, then Mp3tag completely auto-removes the Global Title after editing with Mp3tag, say adding or modifying existing values.

A. Scenario A:

1. Use mkvpropedit.exe to add Global Title, for example: -e info -s "title=🏠📘🐶"
  2. Then use Mp3tag to add or modify existing values elsewhere (not the Title). Save. Then the Global Title is fully gone.
  3. Re-open the same MKV. XML Title counterpart is still there, with the emojis.

B. Scenario B:

1. Use mkvmerge.exe to add Global Titile, for example: --title "🏠📘🐶"
  2. Then use Mp3tag to add or modify existing values elsewhere (not the Title). Save. Then the Global Title is fully gone.
  3. Re-open the same MKV. XML Title counterpart is still there, with the emojis.

C. Scenario C:

1. Use MKVToolNix GUI, then its Header Editor tab.
  2. Segment
  3. Title
  4. Put in, for example: 🏠📘🐶
  5. Save.
  6. Then use Mp3tag to add or modify existing values elsewhere, BUT Global Title is preserved.

I really would like to be able to do the Scenario A and B above, so that I could BATCH set filenames of multiple MKV files. For example, my BATCH files auto-copies the filenames of the MKV's into the Global Title. The BATCH files work as expected, and the Global Titles are derived from the filenames, even if they include emojis. But after editing with Mp3tag, then the Global Titles are completely gone.

Thanks in advance.

I see no mention of support for emojis in tags by Matroska here: Matroska Tags:
Could you please supply us with a support reference, if you have one?

Otherwise I'm puzzled that you would expect either Mp3tag or Matroska to support emojis and I do not see this lack of support as a bug.

I also do not see the tag Global Title in the Matroska column here:
Tag Mapping - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

So Global Title is a custom tag that you created in Mp3tag?

1 Like

In both Scenarios A and B, you indicate that when you check the actual MKV file after saving in mp3tag, the title does in fact remain. So then...

... isn't really the case? Does this mean the Title is gone only from the display in mp3tag? What if you refresh the selected title using File>Read Tag or Ctrl-T, does the Title return? What if you exit mp3tag, then start fresh and open that same file?

1 Like

Mastroska support for emojis has been added many version ago. I initially told the issue to chapterEditor's author in Doom 9 Forums,although I wasn't requesting. Then he communicated with MKVToolNix author, so one version next, an update to a particular library I think, allowed for correct emojis. Docs likely didn't reflect the updates since back then. A test could be done by simply inputting emojis itselves into the MKVTooloNix GUI's Header Editor tab for the Title, then Save. MediaInfo would the display the emojis, as well as Windows Explorer.

Mp3tag on the other hand, can write emojis into Matroska as I have done manually myself, as well as yt-dlp (a fork of youtbe-dl) does many times.

Now, The steps (scenarios) I wrote earlier above must be folllowed for the issue to manifest.

Matroska's Header Global Title is different to its XML Title. Those two Titles can coexist in the Matroska, as viewed by MediaInfo. If there are both inside, then MediaInfo will display it as separated by a slash, so for example:

Movie name: Hello World / Hello World

Then it depends on the media player which Title is dominant, which Title the media player would display on its Titlebar for example.

In all 3 scenarios, the emojis Matroska Global Header Title can be seen in Windows Explorer and MediaInfo. But for A/B the Global Header Title is completely deleted after editing/saving with Mp3tag, but the XML Title counterpart inside the MKV is still there.

So if you look back at Windows Explorer column, the "Title" is blank/none", even though the XML counterpart is still there inside the MKV. So with that, Windows Explorer can display the Header Title (Global Title), not the XML Title counterpart.

For Scenario C, after editing/saving with Mp3tag, ALL is OK, and the "Title" in Windows Explorer columns is still there.

The steps/scenarios I wrote earlier above must be done for the issue to manifest.

To add (based from my personal experience), Matroska has 2 metadata / tags, FIRST, its own Header/Element tag, SECOND, the XML tags. My terms might be inaccurate but I hope anybody would understand nonetheless.

So let's say an MKV has video, audio, and subtitle inside of it, therefore it can have:

1. Header/element Global tags (like Title; Movie name in MediaInfo, very 1st upper section/part General)
  2. Header/element Video track tags (like Title; Title in MediaInfo, 2nd section/part Video)
  3. Header/element Audio track tags (like Title; Title in MediaInfo, 3rd section/part Audio)
  4. Header/element Subtitle track tags (like Title; Title in MediaInfo, 4th/last section/part in Text)

Such Header/element tags, from my personal experience, I can only edit with MKVtoolNix GUI (direct save or remux to a new Matroska file), or its mkvpropedit.exe (direct save) and mkvmerge.exe (must be remuxed to a new Matroska file). Very limited to whatever only MKVToolNix GUI, mkvpropedit.exe, and mkvmerge.exe allow. They have FLAG tags too like if forced, visually impaired, hearing impaired, etc.

Then XML metadata counterparts can be written too for each. Which could also include "Title" for each. And of course anything a User wants to put. No FLAGs though.

Back in time I created external XML files and then remux/put it to the Matroska files. Then after Mp3tag finally supported Matroska, I was then able to put in XML tags easily, BUT Mp3tag can only edit/put XML tags into the Global section/part (General in MediaInfo), which is the very first section/part as viewed in MediaInfo.

I tested with myHEADER as Global Header/Element Title, and myXML as Global XML Title, both inside the MKV, and so far:

• MPC-HC, MPC-BE, KMPlayer = myXML
  • VLC = myHEADER
  • SMPlayer = just like MediaInfo: myHEADER / myXML