WMP hard to use?

As a response to

I would like to add the following:
As far as I can tell there is no decent player that can handle collections with more than few 10,000 tracks.
It may work with already visible delays with up to 60,000 but with more files in the collection it becomes a nerve wrecking experience.
This applies to WMP as well as iTunes (my opinion - other users may have other experiences).
If the number of files in a collection exceeds the 120,000 then it takes hours to read in a new collection - iTunes does not have an automated update mechanism, you have to tell it which folders to scan again.
WMP does have such a mechanism: you add all the folders to the list of watched folders and then all modifications get detected - almost immediately if WMP and the modifying program run simultaneously, with much more time if WMP has to scan through the watched folders from start to end. This may take a couple of hours. Yet, the updates take very little time.
iTunes does not do this AFAIK, you have to rescan all folders from start to end. And scanning does not update existing files, you have to run a separate script and when this script runs, it takes a couple of seconds (5 to 10) until the updates from the next file get treated.
WMP feels better than the version of iTunes that I use.
What is really annoying about WMP are the frequent error report "There is a problem with your library would you like to remedy that" where the only remedy is to start the scan from scratch only to run into the same timing problem again.
THe only real remedy is to simply close WMP and run it again.
As a reply the the linkes thread: I never experienced that audio files in watched folders did not get incorporated into WMP's library regardless of the presence of tags or not. If there are no tags, you find the file in "unknown". So I am not sure where the described problem comes from.
I would be interested to learn about players that can deal with large collections without the drawbacks of described fashion.
(Oh yes, I tried Cody but that is just as cumbersome).

My problems with WMP are more with simply reproducing issues that are reported by users. Like removing files from libraries, re-adding them, having the changes to be picked up and so on. I find it cumbersome to use and had varying success in using it at all. This might be also due to my lacking interest in really getting to know the program.

As a decent player I can recommend foobar2000. I'm not sure how it deals with a library of the size of yours, but you can give it a try. The library folder scanning is also supported, you can add folders via "Preferences > Media Library".

This is as much as I have found out:

Removing entries from the database: simply press "Delete". WMP remembers these entries and does not show them again unless you use the function Extras>Enhanced>Restore deleted entries.

Re-adding files works best in "watched folders" which you can add in File>Manage libraries". I had some problems with the setting that files that are played should be added to the database. This does not seem to work properly.

Picking up changes either is triggered by the folder scan (which may take hours - if you are interested to see which folder is currently scanned then open the sysinternals ProcessExplorer and check out the file section for the WMP. The ProcessExplorer shows with red and green background the active folders.

If you only updated tags but left the filename as it is, then you can force the update of the database by deleting the old entry from the list in WMP and then call the function Extras>Enhanced>Restore deleted entries. This, again, may take a while.

Even though this is all not the most elegant way to deal with collections, I find WMP still easier to use than iTunes where the time to updae single modifications increases with the size of the database. The more entries, the longer it takes for each file, in my case more than 5 seconds per file.
This is handled better by WMP (IMHO) where several updates per second are handled ... unless you have an awful lot of changes and WMP cannot access the database as quickly as it wants and you get the unwelcome database repair assistant - which you can close confidently and simply restart WMP.
Ah, yes, restarting WMP immediately after closing it, esp. when the repair assistant has appeared or WMP sits there after the inital start but does not show the little update arrow then it will not be possible to get the WMP window again as a WMP background process still tries to update the database. You have to open the task manager or a similar program to watch when WMP eventually disappears from the list of running processes. Only then can you run WMP again.
Which, actually, is not too bad as miraculously a lot of updates are now visible ... oh well.

Just reminded me, something even stranger:
on systems with slow access to the data storage and running MP3tag and WMP at the same time, then these two programs more or less block each other so that both become more or less inoperable. In some cases then editing in MP3tag causes the whole line to go blank and further editing takes over the blanked data so that the data is lost. you would have to re-read the tags for that file prior to moving to the next modification.
This can be avoided, again with the help of the already mentioned ProcessExplorer, by assigning MP3tag a higher task priority. By default MP3tag runs at a priority lower than normal just like WMP. Setting MP3tag's priority to "Above normal" makes normal editing possible again.

I fail at finding this function anywhere in the WMP UI.

Thanks! The menu bar was hidden (I thought WMP had no menu bar), which added another level of difficulty to all my attempts :smiley:

Winamp 5.666?

You add in to the Taskbar. And then in to its icon a playlist file M3U8 which has a simple:

#EXTM3U
C:\Your Music
D:\Even More Music

It takes me something like 2 second to have 15000+ files loaded to my Winamp. Those files take 110 GB of space on a modern SSD drive. And there are in form of MP3s, FLACs, WVs and TTAs

Of course not all tags are loaded from the get got [as requested by me in my settings of Winamp]: only those of files that are shown currently on a playlist, or were since the since the time I loaded that "playlist". So I can search all of the files from the get go only by the FILENAME. But that what the Mp3tg is for- with it it takes me around 10 seconds to load the same playlist of everything. And it is Mp3tag that I use for searches and maintaining my music [and other audio stuff]. For me audio player is just for playing

And of course if you use real playlists, then such "playlist" like mine is no good. But that is one of the reasons why I do not use real playlists