Writing performance for files outside of Library

Since Florian constructed the (really needed, very useful) database system, I expected some strange behavior. In settings I selected to monitor for DB only my "standard" music library: internal HD, D:\Art\Music. Unfortunately, with turned ON database system any writes-saves in files became very slow now. OK -- I accept it, as a "price" for a useful DB. But, writing operations are slow, too, on the files, outside of library! I can not understand, why. Now, as a workaround, if I plan to work on these files, NOT in library, first I turn OFF the DB system (and reopen Mp3tag).

[F] Progress bar fault in actions (2.86b)

I think that the distribution of database and collection is crucial for performance.
And what is valid for all database systems: the more real hardware you have, the better.
An example:
The slowest setup is the portable installation on an external USB3.0-HDD with program, database and collection all on one partition.
Reading the whole collection takes more than 5 hours.

The other setup is:
program and database on an SSD, (the same) collection on a separate SATA-drive.
Reading the whole collection takes less than 15 minutes.
So if you optimize your configuration, you might get a better performance.

Thank you, ohrenkino, for your reply. Yes, I think about it.
(But the question I leave opened, of course.)

I'm having the same problem.

My music is stored in C:\Users*myname*\Music (SSD), Mp3tag is on D: (HDD). Mp3tag is set to only use the music folder for the library.

However, editing files outside of the library folder is just as slow as editing files inside the library folder. It also doesn't matter if the files are on C: (SSD) or D: (HDD), it takes maybe half a second per file to save the tags.

If I deactivate the library feature, saving tags is fast again, but reading in my library/music folder then takes much longer again.

Could this be a bug?

Try to install Mp3tag on your SSD (C:) including your library. Does it speed up saving tags?

I did a few more tests (I use the portable version of Mp3tag, so I can move it).

If I move Mp3tag to the SSD, then tags of files that are not in the library folder (it doesn't matter if they are on the SSD or HDD) are saved fast.

If Mp3tag is on the HDD and I deactivate the library feature, then tags are always written very fast (it also doesn't matter if they are on the SSD or HDD).

It looks like Mp3tag somehow uses the library even though the files aren't in the library folder.

I am lost right now: bug or no bug?

I tried to sum it up:

Mp3tag is on the SSD (library feature activated):

• Files are on the SSD and not part of the library folder: Tags are saved fast
  • Files are on the HDD and not part of the library folder: Tags are saved fast

Mp3tag is on the HDD (library feature activated):

• Files are on the SSD and not part of the library folder: Tags are saved slowly
  • Files are on the HDD and not part of the library folder: Tags are saved slowly

Mp3tag is on the SSD (library feature deactivated):

• Files are on the SSD (and not part of the library folder): Tags are saved fast
  • Files are on the HDD (and not part of the library folder): Tags are saved fast

Mp3tag is on the HDD (library feature deactivated):

• Files are on the SSD (and not part of the library folder): Tags are saved fast
  • Files are on the HDD (and not part of the library folder): Tags are saved fast

Therefore I think that the reason why case 2 (Mp3tag is on the HDD, library feature activated) is so slow is that Mp3tag still uses the database, although it should not as the library is only activated for C:\Users\myname\Music.

It is not so important where MP3Tag is installed but it is important where your library-database is located. In a normal windows-installation this is in %appdata%\MP3Tag\data\library. Where is it located in your cases?

As I'm using the portable version, the database is always located in the Mp3tag folder (in the subfolder ' data\library').