Important: The Script utilizes the MusicBrainz Release-Group ID (since that is the only way to access the API). Unless you tag your files using the MusicBrainz Script and/or with MusicBrainz Picard (or enter the ID manually, but why would anyone do that) this will not work. Period.
Fanart.TV is a community aiming mainly at Mediacenter Applications (like Kodi), but they host high quality edited album covers (among other things).
If there are images missing it means either noone found any source material to work with or noone had the time to edit and upload them yet. Afterall this - like many others - is a project being done in volunteer's freetime. If you have any material for a missing artwork make a request and upload it. There are some wizards on there that can get a high quality artwork out of (almost) anything.
What do you get?
- Typically only one high quality artwork for a given release (exceptions being made for Special/Deluxe/Limited Editions, etc.)
- unified 1000x1000px squares (all Cover Art uploaded is required to have these dimensions)
ToDo / Wishlist
- Index Search when there are multiple artworks. For now it will only fetch the first result for a given search.
- different Artwork (like CD Art)
- actually using the JSON functions (might get tricky, see link above)
- using preview-images instead of downloading full-resolution images for downscaling in the preview
- 29.12.2016 initial Upload
- 30.12.2016 added second script, Picard and Mp3tag use different field names for the Release Group ID (see here), otherwise same script