[X] Cannot write tags to WAV / MP3 when it is being played in sound editor

Here is the issue in the big picture :

1] When WAV or MP3 file is loaded to Mp3tag, I can write and save tags in it via Mp3tag

2] When WAV or MP3 file is loaded to Mp3tag and loaded to Winamp, I can write and save tags in it via Mp3tag

3] When WAV or MP3 file is loaded to Mp3tag and is played at the same time in Winamp, I can write and save tags in it via Mp3tag

4] When WAV or MP3 file is loaded to Mp3tag and is loaded to Sony Sound Forge 7.0, I can write and save tags in it via Mp3tag

5] When WAV or MP3 file is loaded to Mp3tag and is played at the same time in Sony Sound Forge 7.0, I can write but not save tags in it via Mp3tag

So the the problem comes down to this: somehow Sound Forge is blocking Mp3tag, which in turns spits out the "cannot be opened for writing" error, but Winamp somehow does not

So could Mp3tag be "fixed", to "override" Sound Forge [or potentially any other software]? It's apparently already doing it with Winamp and half-doing it with this sound editor

I've made a small mistake in the Topic Description

Instead of
Sony Sound Forge blocks Mp3tag but not Winamp
there should be something like
Sony Sound Forge blocks Mp3tag, but Winamp does not block Mp3tag

Blocking a file is a feature of a particular software, in this case that Sony program.
Blocking a file is a completely valid function which therefore cannot be "fixed".

As a manipulation in MP3tag can result in moving a file to a different folder or renaming it, a player in the midst of playing would suddenly loose the file it is playing. So I think it is ok to block a file while playing.

The fix would be: don't play and tag.

So there is no way Mp3tag could get some kind of higher priority? Somehow it gets a priority over Winamp- no conflict there

And I know, that Winamp is a player and not an editor. So the question is: do other sound editors behave in the same way, blocking Mp3tag? Could someone check this behavior on his / hers software?

As for the

solution- it's not a solution

It is a restriction

If MP3tag could simply remove handles from other programs it would become the ideal hacking tool as e.g. antivirus programs could get a virus definition that has been tempered with which in return would open all gates for unwanted programs.

So: no, MP3tag cannot get a higher "priority". But you can ask the other programmers if they really need to block a file for playing. It would be an option to store the whole file in a program administered cache so that the players do not need to re-read the file and therefore would not need to bother if the file is still there.
The blocking actually does not only apply to Mp3tag but to any other program that attempts to write to the file. Such a program could also be an audio editor that cuts away that part that the player currently wants to play. All of sudden the file pointers point to nowhere. An ugly effect.

I just try to shed some light on file blocking. This does not criticize your request but may explain why it is not turned into a feature.

This situation sucks

I use pretty much outdated version of Sound Forge, because of how fast and easy I can get to certain options via right click menu

[some time ago I'vea already tried newer version and I had numerous problems with them]

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.