[X] Exporting length to CSV file

When I export a list including the length column to a CSV file and open it with Excel, the length data is shown as a whole number, not in the form HH:MM:SS eg. a file displayed in the Mp3tag windows as 28:12 is exported to the CSV file as 1692.

By experimenting I have found that by dividing the length by 86400 then formatting the cell with 'h:mm:ss' the correct time is shown.

eg. 1692 / 86400 = 0.019583

Formatted as h:mm:ss displays 0:28:12

Would it be an improvement if the export automatically placed the correct value into the CSV file eg. 0.019583 which can then be formatted.

If we are talking about "correctness" of numbers, then ... we should measure the "length", that means the "duration of playtime", of a music track in the correct meaning as the amount of used samples per sample frequency.

Mp3tag yet does not provide the number of samples of any music file type.

Mp3tag rounds, I am not shure into what direction, up or down, the playtime to whole seconds.
Rounding up seems to be more logical than rounding down. You do not need more tape when rounding up, but the tape is always too short when rounding down. This is an old practical philosophy from the days of optimal filling a compact cassette.

You can export playtime from Mp3tag to textfile using the system placeholders "%_length%" and "%_length_seconds%", where the latter has the more generic datatype of an integer number, which can be formatted on the target system to any format view you need.

You have discussed above a way to import whole seconds into the Excel application.
It is sort of the application and the datetime datatype it relies on. Keep in mind that floating point numbers sometimes lacks on precision or accuracy. It is safer to transport integer numbers from one application to another application.

If you export from Mp3tag this string ...
"0:0:%_length_seconds%"
... resp. ...

'0:0:'%_length_seconds%

... to an Excel cell format of "Uhrzeit 37:30:55" (german Excel) or user defined "hh:mm:ss", then you will get the right view in the Excel cell automatically.

DD.20100204.1553.CET

Thanks for the info,

I belatedly realised before reading your reply that 1/864000 is the Excel numeric value for 1 second ie 1/24/60/60, therefore the length returned by an MP3tag export is expressed in seconds.

I understand that by MP3tag returning the value of the length in seconds is a universal format which can then be converted into any applications numeric format for time. The only problem is that I had to work out myself that the value placed in the CSV file was in fact the number of seconds which took a while, others may have given up.

Regards
Andy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.