[X] Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Hi,

I've encountered the following bug:

Mp3tag v 2.31

I start the application and it usually crashes on any action that I'm trying to do (not only renaming or cddb search, but sometimes already on the command to select all the files in the window of active directory).

I always get the following error window:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

And sometimes (as I've tried to get past this problem somehow by multiple uninstalls and install of Mp3tag 2.31) Windows offers me to send an error report - I decline the generous offer as I don't want to send any information about my pc to Microsoft. As Windows offers the chance to view the generated error report then I've saved it and attach it with original name to this post.

As you have requested, the contents of Mp3tagError.log:

================================================================================
Mp3tag V.2.31 - 06.06.2005 - 10:52:17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS-Version: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build: May 21 2005 21:36:11
AppPath:  4.018.073.600 Bytes frei (C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\)
DataPath: 4.018.073.600 Bytes frei (C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mp3tag\data\)
TempPath: 4.018.073.600 Bytes frei (C:\DOCUME~1\Admin\LOCALS~1\Temp\Mp3tag V.2.31\)
FileVersion mfc42.dll: 6.2.4131.0
================================================================================

That's all I've got there.

A bit of additional information - I've been using Mp3tag for while, including the prevous versions (2.27 and 2.29) and have never encountered such problem. After installing 2.31. it suddenly started occurring. I have made no changes to my laptop's hardware and only minor one's to the software.

I also tried a couple of times to totally uninstall/delete Mp3tag from my system and then to install it again - no luck (by total uninstall I mean manual deletion of all registry keys left after the automatic uninstall).

I hope that you can help me out with my problem.

Dammit, I decided to tag correctly all my music files (about 40GB of them), with the great help of Mp3tag and cddb I've tagged already ~36BG and now this bug starts to occur :frowning:

2dd0_appcompat.txt (14 KB)

I have no idea what's happening when this error occurs :frowning:

Does this error only occurs on specific files or regardless of which files are loaded into Mp3tag's file view?

Regards,
~ Florian

Hi,

I've been experiencing the same problem with Mp3tag v 2.31 when reading a directory structure that contains 7155 files (it seems to be working fine with normal album sized directories).

It goes through reading in all the files then stops with the Visual C++ error. The file it stops on seems to be random.

I have managed to successfully load all the files before after lots of trys, but that also apppeared to be random because that only worked once and the error messages returned on subsequent trys.

I also seem to remember that I didn't have the problem at all when I had around 5000 files.

Also, ID3-TagIT seems to read it in fine (sorry about mentioning a rival, but there's a few things that ID3-TagIT does that MP3Tag doesn't, like attaching images...).

Anyway, keep up the good work and I hope you can get to the bottom of this one.

RE to Florian,

As far as I can tell, it occurs regardless of the files that are loaded.

RE to monkey102,

It seems that on my laptop this error occurs regardless of the number of files.
I usually open/load one directory at a time - this means one album, containing usually not more than 20 songs (a real max for a double CD would be 40), and the damn error-message just keeps jumping out.

Anyway, couple of times I've received some new type of error-message, saying something in German (I don't speak German), I'll try to capture the text or screenshot and post it on the board,

So far, thank you Florian & monkey102.

I've marked this report as "No Bug", because there was no follow-up for more than one month.

~ Florian

In case you're wondering who is this dip waud, I'm Morioka. Hi.

If you didn't pick up on the riddle in bold, I am having the same problem as that other guy. Every time I load your program (which is awesome btw) it gives me the runtime error. I don't know why; it just all of a sudden starting doing this. Would you please check the code, 'cause this is definitely a bug. I will just have to reinstall to get it working again for now.

Thank you. Rock on.

EDIT: I found a temporary solution. After it gave the error, all the options are greyed out, but the options drop down menu. Under the General tab I unchecked the box under start from this directory. Voila. So it must be a corrupt file in one of my folders doing this. I never load album covers into the tags, so that can't be it. WTF is it then? And will it get fixed in the upcoming version? Not a demand but I'm sure you'd like to weed out ALL bugs before first release.

Just check the latest Development Build. It should be more stable regarding corrupted files, than the version you're using.

Best regards,
~ Florian

All right, great!
You deleted my subliminal message! :angry: Not cool. Took a good 45 minutes on that one. Usually they are not so lame and much funnier. Granted it came out awkward writing and barely made sense, but there wasn't much to work around a pirate theme and computers. First I was just going to pretend like I was dissing your program, then I ran w/ it too far . . . which isn't suitable for a bug forum. Understandable.

Anyway, basically it was to connote the fact that, well, ID3-TagIT has actually blown Mp3tag out of the water with its more complete and compatible ID tagging features. For example the embedded picture and kanji SJIS support.

I really do like Mp3tag's interface. It's clean, more streamlined and almost 3x less resource hungry. So was it your idea to keep Mp3tag as lite as possible w/o extra features to bog things down? Great job on that, but it should at least support album covers and SJIS along with unicode (two cents' worth).

Sorry for deleting your prevoius message, but it was kinda off-topic and I didn't understand all of it. Anyway, I didn't see how this post was related to the topic, so I've moved it to a hidden forum.

Just FYI, the current Development Build supports Unicode (adding cover art is not planned at the moment).

Best regards,
~ Florian