[X] mtdirectoryreader.cpp error

Every time I go to read in my directory, I get a bunch of smp3file2.cpp errors and then the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
File:		.\smp3file2.cpp
Line:		1439
Message:	read: bad allocation (D:\Users\Useri\Music\Library\Wiz Khalifa\Grow Season\1-03 When They See Me.mp3)
00001228 at 16:28:17.244069
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THROW
File:		.\mtdocument.cpp
Line:		231
CATCH
File:		.\mtdirectoryreader.cpp
Line:		363
================================================================================

This causes the process of reading in the song files to stop and I have to close and restart Mp3tag. I have tried a number of builds on multiple computers and always had the same issue. I am running Windows 7 x64 on my current setup if that is of any help.

Also, on one of the attempts, it crashed. Attached is the dump file as it is possibly related.

Thank you

Mp3tag.dmp (96.3 KB)

Hav you checked with something like mp3val whether the file is not corrupt?

No I have not.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will download that now.

You could try by checking:

(D:\Users\Useri\Music\Library\Wiz Khalifa\Grow Season\1-03 When They See Me.mp3) as it is listed in the error message.

That is only the end of the error message. There were about a hundred files listed in the error message. I used MP3val, fixed all files it reported and removed the rest.

I still get the error and the log still lists a large number of files with "bad allocation". Do I have to remove all of them for it to work?

Do these files still play ?
Did you check your HDD recently for Errors ? (Chkdsk)
Do you have a backup ?

Yes. All of the files play fine. They are backed up but my hard drive is healthy. I am running a RAID 1 array.

Your lucky by having this all and doing backups !! :rolleyes:

The only other thing I can think of, is some kind of Memory Corruption while reading the files, but maybe Florian ("The Developer") can comment on why this error is thrown.

Ok cool.

Hey guys, just an update. I decided to try excluding all .mp3s from the directory and only scan for .m4a files.

This is the error I get when I try to remove a certain tag from all of the files.

=======================================================================
=========
Mp3tag v2.49a - 12.01.2012 - 01:23:30
OS-Version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Build: Nov 14 2011 17:08:48
AppPath:  46.921.830.400 Bytes frei (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\)
DataPath: 84.804.059.136 Bytes frei (d:\Users\Dan Kozlowski\AppData\Roaming\Mp3tag\data\)
TempPath: 84.804.059.136 Bytes frei (d:\Users\DANKOZ~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Mp3tag v2.49a\)
================================================================================

THROW
File:		.\smetadata_v2.cpp
Line:		140
THROW
File:		.\smp4file.cpp
Line:		735
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
THROW
CATCH
File:		.\mtmainframe.cpp
Line:		5782

Who is the owner of the files (add a column in the windows explorer to see this).
If the name is a lengthy combinations of numbers and letters and not your current login, you might have an access permissions problem.
Do you run the WMP at the same time? If so, close it.
Do you open the files/Directories from within MP3tag or do you use the explorer and the context menu? If the latter is the case, try to open the files with the first described means.

Taken your condensed error logs ...

File: .\smp3file2.cpp
Message: read: bad allocation (D:\Users\Useri\Music\Library\Wiz Khalifa\Grow Season\1-03 When They See Me.mp3)
File: .\mtdocument.cpp
File: .\mtdirectoryreader.cpp

File: .\smetadata_v2.cpp
File: .\smp4file.cpp
File: .\mtmainframe.cpp
Line: 5782

... there seems to be different error situations.

First, it may be a problem with a mp3 file or the drive and the filesystem.

Second, it may be a problem with the mp4/m4a file.

It looks like as you have eliminated all the mp3 file errors as stated in the first error situation.

At least only the Mp3tag developer can possibly say what error situation has been triggered the termination.

Use foobar2000 to read such a broken mp4 file, try to change some property of the file, save the change and retry to read the file with Mp3tag.

Use foobar2000 and see if "Utilities/Optimize Mp4 layout' can change something to make the file compatible with Mp3tag, and retry to read the file with Mp3tag.

If nothing helps, then you should practice in patience.

DD.20120112.1313.CET

I am listed as the owner of the files. WMP was closed and I opened the files by opening Mp3tag and changing the directory. Thank you for your help.

Excuse me? I'm not really sure what you mean by that. My last post was almost a month ago. How long am I supposed to wait for the developer to answer bug reports? This is a forum. Is there a limit of one post every couple of months or something?

It blows my mind how this program has such a good reputation yet I had been trying for close to a year now before I even posted here and can't even get it to complete one action without crashing. Ignoring the mp3 files, all of the m4a files were purchased from iTunes so I doubt their tags can be corrupted that badly. They all play fine and my music player has no issue reading their tags.

And you mean to tell me that the program doesn't have any sort of error handling, or at least the ability to provide useful error messages, such as specifying which track it is having an issue with?

I was providing the developer with information that could possibly help him improve his application. If that sort of thing is discouraged here, I can see why nothing gets fixed.

Hmm ... you can contact the author via E-Mail "info@mp3tag.de" and provide one or more sample file which let Mp3tag run into termination.

DD.20120112.2000.CET

The error "bad allocation" listed in the error log is usually a sign of Mp3tag not being able to allocate more memory. This can be caused by performing changes on a really huge list of files.

Have you tried a smaller set of files? Can the issue be nailed down to one specific file?

Kind regards
Florian