[X] 'Unable to open file' but still edits tag!

Hi, I've used MP3 tag for a while, but since installing it on my new laptop have come across the following problem:

I open a folder with the files I want to edit
I enter the details I want in the fields I want
Click 'Save'
Error message pops up: Unable to open xxx.mp3 for editing. Do you wish to proceed, Yes/No?
Clicking No cancels everything. BUT - clicking OK appears to do nothing to the tag, until, once you've clicked OK for all the files this happens with, and refresh the view, all the tags have been saved properly!

This does not hapen to all files, but is totally random as far as I can see - it happens to files I ripped, donwnloaded, even edited with MP3tag before!

The files are not 'read-only' if that helps.

Its really annoying - I have to sit there, clicking OK for all eternity, and it has never happened before on my old PC. In fact, I seem to remember doing it without problems on my laptop earlier! It first happened yesterday, with the previous version of MP3tag, I updated to 2.32, same problem.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I can edit the tags by clicking on the fields and typing stuff in individually. the problem appears if I try to assign, say, a new album title and erase all track/year/genre info for a bunch of mp3s.

Does this still happen with the latest Development Build?

Best regards,
~ Florian

Hello, THANK YOU FOR REPLYING! Come on guys, this is a serious problem!

Yes, it happens when I upgraded to the latest version. Still happening...

Are you doing anything else with the files when this happens. I get this message if i am playing the file when i try to save or working on it in some other way.

No, I'm not doing anything with the files. In any case, if it keeps making this error over and over again - I can't possibly be playing hundreds of files...

Any chance your antivirus might block access to the files? I know this might sound unusual, but I always have to disable my AV when installing because otherwise the installer cancels with an error that it can't write because the file is in use.

OK, problem appears to be sorted.

Florian - sorry, I didn't check properly - I didn't have the latest 'q' version of the build installed. Having installed it, everything works normally. I suspect it may have been something to do with the files being modified with MP3Gain. But I still think it did happen quite randomly and to files that weren't modified. Anyhoo, I don't care as I don't use MP3Gain anymore because it is pants. :slight_smile:

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Hopefully the problem doesn't reappear :slight_smile:

Best regards,
~ Florian

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.