X32 and x64 both generate Event 1000

When I right click a file/folder and select MP3tag nothing happens on the surface. However, in examining the Event Viewer it generates event 1000:

Faulting application name: DllHost.exe, version: 10.0.22000.1, time stamp: 0x93f44fbf
Faulting module name: Mp3tagShell.dll, version: 3.14.0.0, time stamp: 0x62753e24
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000008a99
Faulting process id: 0xe44
Faulting application start time: 0x01d863dadda1ec56
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tagShell.dll
Report Id: bf104d44-e950-409c-b1fd-7d450bb7713f
Faulting package full name: 35795FlorianHeidenreich.Mp3tag.ShellExtension_3.14.0.0_x64__hyhc94k68ebpm
Faulting package-relative application ID: Mp3tag

MP4tag works fine if I open it from the icon but not the right click. This error occurred on both the latest x32 and x64 releases. I am running the latest version of Win 11 Pro x64.

Have you uninstalled the previous version of Mp3tag before migrating to the 64-bit version? Also, have you renamed the Mp3tag.exe in any way?

I was using the x32 v3.14 when this event began occurring. I uninstalled the x32 and installed the x64 v3.14h hoping this would correct the issue; however, it still persists. The program works fine once started but you know how much more convenient it is to right click a folder to open it rather than having to start the program and then navigate to the folder. I didn’t find anything in the forum specifically related to this issue so that is why I posted. If no one else is experiencing this event then it has to be some issue/conflict with Windows 11 itself. No changes were made to the EXE.

Can you check the contents of those registry keys?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir

It's no problem, if one of those doesn't exist.

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install\InstDir' is the only key that exist.

And what does it say?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Florian Heidenreich\Mp3tag\Install]
"Start Menu Folder"="Mp3tag"
"InstDir"="C:\Program Files\Mp3tag"

OK, thanks. You probably also find a Mp3tag.exe at C:\Program Files\Mp3tag so I'm out of ideas. I was hoping for a different path that would explain that opening the program doesn't work.

I installed the x64 on another Win11Pro PC and had the same problem. If no one else is reporting this error then it most likely might be with a recent Windows update. I have a few more things to attempt and will follow-up if anything changes. Thank you.

I've set up a new Windows 11 today, updated with all the pending updates from Windows Update and still couldn't reproduce it.

Do you use that with a user that has restricted rights or anything else special?

I am the sole user, no restrictions. I have even upgraded the security permissions without any success. Win11Pro updated a few days ago and that is when the problems began. I noticed today that some other programs are now having issues. LIke my Epson V500 scanner, every time Windows updates I have to completely reinstall the Epson scanner software. This even occurred with Win10 though. Another issue I had when installing the x64 version, after closing the app I received a message stating that it could not write to the program folder. I took care of that issue hoping it would resolve the right click but it did not.

This sounds like a portable version installed to the Program Files folder (this is not recommend). You can check the installation type via Help → About...

You are correct, it installed the Standard as Portable

As you can see from the screen captures, the Standard option is selected (always) but yet it is installing as Portable. Any suggestions to force the install correctly?

Removing the file mp3tag.cfg from that folder should do the trick.

That did correct the Portable issue. Thank you.

1 Like