[2.52] Flac corruption while adding album cover

Hello,

I am using version 2.52 and I recently ran into corruption problems using the application. I encoded my files using EAC into flac and I ran audiotester on it. Here is the result:

16 files scanned in 5.51 seconds
---
0 files failed
---
16 files passed
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\01 - Hello, I Love You.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\02 - Love Street.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\03 - Not to Touch the Earth.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\04 - Summer's Almost Gone.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\05 - Wintertime Love.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\06 - The Unknown Soldier.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\07 - Spanish Caravan.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\08 - My Wild Love.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\09 - We Could Be So Good Together.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\10 - Yes, the River Knows.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\11 - Five to One.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\12 - Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\13 - Not to Touch the Earth (dialogue).flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\14 - Not to Touch the Earth (take 1).flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\15 - Not to Touch the Earth (take 2).flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun - Copy\16 - Celebration of the Lizard (An Experiment,Work in Progress).flac

This log is for untouched files.

Then, I add a jpg cover to the files using mp3tag 2.52 and I get the following log:

16 files scanned in 3.09 seconds
---
3 files failed
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\05 - Wintertime Love.flac    (FRAME_CRC_MISMATCH @ 0m 16s)
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\06 - The Unknown Soldier.flac    (FRAME_CRC_MISMATCH @ 2m 26s)
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\07 - Spanish Caravan.flac    (LOST_SYNC @ 1m 00s)
---
13 files passed
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\01 - Hello, I Love You.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\02 - Love Street.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\03 - Not to Touch the Earth.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\04 - Summer's Almost Gone.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\08 - My Wild Love.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\09 - We Could Be So Good Together.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\10 - Yes, the River Knows.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\11 - Five to One.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\12 - Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor.flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\13 - Not to Touch the Earth (dialogue).flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\14 - Not to Touch the Earth (take 1).flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\15 - Not to Touch the Earth (take 2).flac
D:\EACRips\The Doors - Waiting for the Sun\16 - Celebration of the Lizard (An Experiment,Work in Progress).flac

When I do listen to these erroneous files, I do hear "skip" in the songs, which is pretty bad! The only thing I did between these two is add the cover. I will try to see if it does happen with previous version.

So far, with 2.51, I didn't get any flac corruption. I'm still tagging tons of music so I will report back later to see if I was able to reproduce the problem with this version.

I've not had this problem with any version of mp3tag going back 5 years or so. Could be a failing harddrive on your end. Just a thought. If this was an actual mp3tag problem, there would be hundreds of posts reporting this....

Well, in my first email, I didn't write all I went through but when I first got these errors, I started investigating if it was my PC. I even bought a new hard drive and did a clean Windows install on it and I'm still getting the issue. By the way, the new hdd reports no error at all and it's working good.

I then thought that it could be my RAM. I moved my files to another PC on which I verified if the flac were okay: there were not. That rules out the RAM issue.

Everytime that I rip a cd and do not use mp3tag on it, my flac are fine. Sometimes after using it, I do get the corruption in the flac, so that's why I guessed a version of mp3tag could have created this bug. Maybe I'm wrong, but after ruling out the RAM and HDD, I'm not sure why I would get this. I'm not sure what to look for...

Anyway, I will still try to look if it is a issue with mp3tag.

Is there a place where I can retrieve older versions of the software?

hmmm, odd. sounds like you've done some testing, so I'm stumped. Not sure about old versions of software.

Hi TheWalrusNP,

here are all portable version commencing v2.46 available for download and testing:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/prapper/files/mp3tag/

I assume you have been using this tool:
http://www.audiotester.de/mainE.htm
right?

How did you convert from flac to wav in order to read and compare the audio files into audiotester? Could it be the error slips in at any other interface?

Have you tried different comparison tools such as:

foo_bitcompare in foobar2000
and/or
Audio DiffMaker
and/or
Audacity

I am very curious about this issue. Please keep us updated!

Good luck!

i've run into a very similar problem with version 2.52 (i don't remember running into this problem with earlier versions): my .flac files get corrupted when removing coverart from the mp3 tag.
while programs like foobar are still able to playback the corrupted flac files my linn ds player and other programs fail to open the edited files. :astonished:

malloney2000,

Try to copy one of your good files (.flac still plying correctly with your Linn), and modify it with mp3tag and see if the error is reproducible.

Once the error happens use foo_bitcompare in foobar2000 (see my previous post for link) and see what it tells you.

If it is correct, which is most likely the case, there is something broken in the tag while the album art is modified.

I am not an expert. Maybe somebody could recommend a tool actually reading the raw tag information from an audio container and provides it as bulk clear text. This would allow you to compare before and after.
Alternatively you could try notepad++. I have just opened a flac file and got some clear text although not much. May be you can see differences or copy the first view lines and compare them with the text compare plugin for notepad++. ( Just ad-hock)
(do not use windows text editor to open the flac - it will crash/take forever since it tries to load the entire file!)

hi xtobix

i just tried that and did a bit comparison in foobar. result: the files are not identical anymore.

Differences found in 1 out of 1 track pairs.

Comparing:
"Z:\Harry Connick, Jr. - 1989 - When Harry Met Sally... (OST)\01. It Had To Be You (With Big Band & Vocals).flac"
"Z:\Harry Connick, Jr. - 1989 - When Harry Met Sally... (OST) Copy\01. It Had To Be You (With Big Band & Vocals).flac"
Length mismatch : 2:40.816508 vs 2:41.466667, 7092008 vs 7120680 samples

i also used "verify integrity" in foobar which comes to the same result:

Item: "Z:\Harry Connick, Jr. - 1989 - When Harry Met Sally... (OST)\01. It Had To Be You (With Big Band & Vocals).flac"

MD5: 041DBB9DAC63074F25E95A415DE090D8
CRC32: 7E8EE7D4
No problems found.

Item: "Z:\Harry Connick, Jr. - 1989 - When Harry Met Sally... (OST) Copy\01. It Had To Be You (With Big Band & Vocals).flac"
MD5: 5535FC87ED87396CAC9F89C177E14F55
CRC32: 94AB79D5
Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 2:41.466667 vs 2:40.816508 decoded
Error: Corrupted FLAC stream
Error: MD5 mismatch

1 item could not be correctly decoded.

List of undecodable items:
"Z:\Harry Connick, Jr. - 1989 - When Harry Met Sally... (OST) Copy\01. It Had To Be You (With Big Band & Vocals).flac"

what puzzles me:
yesterday i also removed the cover picture from a different album. the files were still playable and bit comparison identified them as identical. so this corruption only occurs in sometimes...

phil

Hello,

I will test using the tools you suggested.

What I usually do is:

1. EAC rips directly to flac using -V.
  2. Use mp3tag to add the cover to the flac.
  3. Use dBpoweramp to convert my flac to mp3 v4 (to use on portable devices)

I found out the corruption issue because dBpoweramp reported an issue while converting the flac -> mp3. To validate that the problem is not dBpoweramp-related, I used audiotester (from the .de website) to see if there is indeed a problem. I do get that there are errors with my flac. Later, I did test right after the EAC rip that my file was okay and after adding the cover, I was having a corrupted file.

It looks like I got the same error with mp3tag 2.51 by the way. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one having similar issues.

I was curious about the problem you are seeing so I tried to duplicate the issue.

I have FLAC files recently created from rips in dbpa. Normal CDs (16/44.1), ripped to FLAC with compression level of 5, album art as cover.jpg within same directory, and the typical set of metadata in the tags, including replaygain values. In short, a normal rip to FLAC within dbpa.

I'm using 14.2 version of dbpa (latest) and 2.52 mp3tag (latest). And foobar 1.14a (latest).

My tests:

1. I took an existing FLAC file, copied it to a different location. Opened it in mp3tag and added an embedded cover art. Then saved. Running foobar2000 "verify integrity" shows the file to be good. Running "bit compare" within foobar2000 back to the original file in its original location shows the files to be "no difference". [note that bitcompare in foobar uses the audio info only and ignores differences in tag sizes]

2. I took the file copy in step 1, opened it in mp3tag, removed the embedded album art and changed to different embedded art. Then I again did a "verify integrity" on this file (all OK) and bitcompare back to the original FLAC file. No difference reported, all OK.

Consequently, I'm not able to replicate your problem with corruption to FLAC files by changing or adding album art. This doesn't surprise me because if this was happening to mp3tag users I suspect we'd have hundreds of posts on this forum regarding corrupted FLAC files. Many dbpa users also use mp3tag.

I also took the FLAC file I saved in mp3tag (with art I embedded using mp3tag) and converted it to an mp3 file using dbpa converter. It converted OK and plays OK and foobar2000 verifies its integrity as OK.

garym,

thanks for the test and your report - that is reassuring. I would have been surprised too. Nevertheless, it could be the Linn player is incompatible somehow.

We might hear back...

BTY, I have tested all my 3492 flac files and not one was corrupted! I have been useing mp3Tag many times in the last years!

like you i have been using mp3tag for several years - without trouble. i cannot even remember this error occuring with version 2.5.1.

my > 10k flac files were encoded with all official incarnations of the flac codec from version 1.1.4 to the current 1.2.1. most files were encoded with compression level -5 to -8, lately mostly -8 tukey(0.25)+flattop.

the point is - as mentioned before: the corruption does not occur all the time but sometimes (like 1 out of 10 time-ish)

also: as the file verifications report: there is a mismatch of actual length and encoded length after removing covers from the tag. some players can handle corrupted audiofiles (i.e. foobar) some cannot (my linn player and also audacity fail to open the corrupted flacs). but like the reports indicate: there is a corruption occuring - it's just the players showing the error by either giving reports (foobar) or not playing.

phil

Are you saying that you also do NOT see this problem in any of your files.

Nop; I am running on v2.50 anyway!
My original starting point was an issue with ALBUM ARTIST // ALBUMARTIST in flac tags where I stumbled up on this too.

I was just curious about the issue and also driven by the quest how to check whether or not a flac is corrupted.

I have done no tests with 2.52.

Thanks. So as far as I can tell in this thread, there are two people who are reporting intermittent issues with their FLAC files being corrupted. Maybe they've done so, but it would help if they would post exactly what they are playing files on where they won't play.

In my case (with no corruption of FLAC files after using mp3tag to change art):

foobar2000
logitech media server feeding various Squeezeboxes (running on both linux machines and on a win7 machine).

I have noticed the same problem twice in the last two days. I'm using v2.51. Once I add album art (500x500 16kb) one random file out of ~ 20 is corrupted.

Is there any way to revert the tagging and restore the file to its original state in mp3tag?

Trader's Little Helper reports:

tp2008-08-23t01.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t02.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t03.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t04.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t05.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t06.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t07.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t08.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t09.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t10.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t11.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t12.flac: file is truncated or otherwise corrupt.
tp2008-08-23t13.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t14.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t15.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t16.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t17.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).
tp2008-08-23t18.flac: tested ok (file is decodable without error).

There were errors.

Before I added the tag the files all tested ok.

Tagging a similar number of files with album art 276x276 10kb did not result in any corrupted files. Does it have something to do with the album art size?

I've embedded up to 1000x1000 jpg files with no issues noted.