I wish to reinstall v 3.02 in the same directories as the previous version 3.01 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag) while migrating the set up information, but I run into these problems.
With version 3.02, the mp3tagv302setup.exe program from your site (https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html ) did not delete the previous install (3.01) in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\ .
Furthermore it installed the new version in
instead of in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag .
- This installer does not ask for an installation directory.
- There are no uninstall program with this installation.
The Uninstall program in version 3.01 does not work, as it complains that an mp3tag executable is opened, but there are none.
- Verified with Windows Process Manager and Sysinternals ProcessExplorer
- Retries of uninstall after 2 reboots failed
- Manual deleting seems daunting ( ex.: 242 "Mp3tag" entries in the Windows registry )
*I use a Windows 10 current version on a ~2016 machine (Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSHD C: , 1 TB HD D: )
Thanks for any help
Hi Pierre ,
I swear by Revo Uninstaller , there's versions on the web , grab the pro if possible .
it has an excellent hunter / forced uninstall engine .
I cannot reproduce anything that you describe about the installation and failed de-installation.
I suspect there is something seriously wrong on your machine. I can't help you with that local problem.
Did the original poster install 3.02 from the Application Store? The location given
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ is where Microsoft Store Apps are installed.
Bonjour TAC109, as mentionend I installed it from https://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html ...
I don't know what is going on on your system.
So: follow the instructions in the FAQs to get a backup of your settings:
Then uninstall MP3tag completely, really get rid of it.
The install the new version. And then add the backup as described.
Env. recap : Windows 10 Professionnal, Can-Fr, Version 1909, OS version 18363.1016 ;
Note : my system is French Canadian, so i might freely translate labels
( messages, buttons, commands, etc.) to english for ease of understanding
so far ,
- Uninstalled the 2 versions of MP3tag with Windows > Settings > Apps > Apps and fonctions.
- Hard reboot
- Windows Explorer > Properties > Tools > Verify : C: = no errors ( 103 used / 222 GB)
- Windows Explorer > Properties > Tools > Verify : D: = no errors ( 397 used / 931 GB
- Registry standard installation directories are normal ...
"CommonFilesDir"="C:\Program Files\Common Files"
"ProgramFilesDir (x86)"="C:\Program Files (x86)"
"CommonFilesDir (x86)"="C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files"
Remaining "MP3tag" :
- in CMD window >find /c /i "MP3tag" regedit_20200903-1122.reg
---------- REGEDIT_20200903-1122.REG: 96
- UltraEdit (v11.20b) reports 119 occurences of "MP3tag"
Note : different values might be explained by counting 1 occurence per line VS all occurences per line
- Windows Explorer, search "MP3Tag" in C:\ (all subfolders, filenames only, in system & compressed files)
49 files found (of which 22 resulting in my documentation of this problem)
Next actions for MP3Tag clean-up :
- Manually permanent-deleting (Shift-Delete) of most obvious files with MP3tag in names.
- Manually deleting "MP3tag" entries in Registry, starting with top hierarchy of KEYS and working down if subordinate key names or values are not automatically deleted.
Any advice regarding this last action ?? I can do it but I am not familiar with surgical editing of the Registry and it seems Uninstalling utilities that can clean a partial uninstall are not free (ref. Revo ).
BTW, contrary to others, your posted links to web pages are nor clickable. I use local/web Outlook and Google Chrome Version 85.0.4183.83 (Build officiel) (64 bits) without problems with other emailed links ... !?!
Merci d'avance pour toute info.
As the links are generated by the forum sw, and all the other links work for you I see perhaps even more problems with your system's installation.
As for the link itself: you find it in the HowTos "Installation and Backup".
I cannot diagnose from the distance what may be wrong with your setup. You have to keep trying.
"posted links" , yes possibly some loss in translation from Community site to e-mailer.
As I seem to be the only one with this install problem , and I have no other problems with my system or other sw I install, I would think that I downloaded a developper's installer that got rapidly replaced by generic one. Bad Timing I guess.