Add track number to title starting with 001

I've read similar topics but none of them are quite what I'm after.

I have a large compilation which I would like to add a track number to each track but not starting with 01, but 001.

Thanks

If the track numbers are already there, use an action of the type "Format value" for TRACK
Format string: $num(%track%,3)

Please note that the Windows explorer (and WMP) interpret 3-digit-numbers with leading zeros as octal values. Sorting by track number may then lead to unexpected results.

The track numbers are there for titles but starting with 01.
How do I start with 001?
I want to do this because I have an external hdd with my music (I have a backup aswell) which I connect to my Streamer.
When looking at all tracks on mp3tag they are in order but not when using an app for my streamer.
I'm going to try this to see if it works.
I've tried renumbering the tracks but it has not worked.

What are we talking about? The filename? The tag field TITLE? The tag field TRACK?

Sorry. I'm no expert in these matters.

Yes, the filename.

I'm going to see if changing the numbering for the filenames will help solve the problem I'm having with numbering not being in order when using the app for my streamer.

So would it be possible to simply rewrite the filename with the function Convert>Tag-Filename as all the relevant tag fields are filled?

I'm sure I tried that before but it didn't work.
I'll try that again but I won't be able to test it until tomorrow.

Thanks for your help for now.

The numbering for the tracks is 01,02 etc. at the moment but I did try numbering them 001, 002 etc. but it didn't work.
Does it matter that the tracks are numbered 01,02 etc?
Does Convert>Tag-Filename take into account of the way tracks are numbered?

Creating a filename from tags is a thing of its own as you can lay down the rules for it in the format string. E.g.
$num(%track%,3) - %title%
will create 3-digit leading numbers from the field TRACK regardless of the format of the data in the field TRACK.
If you do not feel at home with this, then you could also filter for all files with a filename that starts with just 2 digits:
%_filename% MATCHES "^\d\d "
and then use the function Convert>Tag-Tag for the field _FILENAME (type it in)
Format string: 0%_filename%

1 Like

I described a way to get 3-digit numbers into TRACK in

Could you tell me exactly what buttons I need to press in the example above.
I'm not too sure to be honest.

Which example could you mean?
The one with the filter or the one with the function Convert>Tag-Filename?

Do you really want to hear that you have to open a menu called "Convert" ("Konverter" in German), find the function "Tag-Filename" and then identify what is labelled "Format string"?

Sorry again, as I said, I'm no expert.
I did it.
I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked.
Thanks for your patience.

Yes, that sorted it.
Thanks again for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.