Adding covers for MKV files

Good day!

Have recently installed the 2.85f version and tried adding covers for MKV files.
As I see, yet this option isn't available, are there any plans to add it?

Thanks in advance!

PS: also hope that MKV tags will be one day fully viewed in Microsoft Explorer.

Hi Max,

thanks for your feedback! Adding covers to MKV is on my list (also see here).

Kind regards
β€” Florian

P.S. If it's relevant to you, I'm curious about your take on handling chapters in MKV.

1 Like

Hello Florian!

Thanks for you reply! I hope it works out fine with the covers!
Adding chapters to MKV is not a must, what if they are skipped?
But same time, chapters in movies are like tracks in an album.
I prefer keeping music albums in FLAC with a built in cue sheet.
Maybe it would be best to do the same thing with the video files?
Because right now, such FLAC's tracks aren't visible in MP3TAG.
Example is in the attachment, I hope it will be anyhow useful.

Thank you again, you're the best!

Mp3tag v3.06e adds support for editing cover art with Matroska MKA/MKV.

1 Like

Hello Florian, good day to you!

I have tried using the new option of editing covers of some MKV files and I've seen, that the adding image is being named as the "Front Cover", instead of the standard for MKV title "Cover". Therefore, even though the cover is technically there - in the container attachments, it's still not visible in Windows (Win.10 in my case). I hope you will check that option in terms of the Windows compatibility.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the feedback! Can you tell me where the cover would be then visible in Windows 10? I've tried to save it as "Cover" here, but Windows Explorer doesn't display the cover preview.

1 Like

You're most welcome! I am not quite sure what could be the problem really, but since the MKV format is a free format (non-commercial), there could always be some issues taking place. However, as long as I can remember using MKV files and adding there covers - the most of the information and the cover art is being displayed correctly, even without any additional software. My OS is Windows 10 Pro (Ver. 20H2), but even on all the older versions of Windows 10 the MKV covers have still been visible well and I am not sure, if the side Software, such as the "Icaros" by Xanashi really makes a big difference. Sometimes all what it takes - is just to refresh the folder, using 'F5' or possibly installing some other side Software, that deals with the MKV files processing, such as the "MKVToolNix GUI" by Moritz Bunkus. In any case, if the Cover is named as "Cover.jpg" - it can be displayed well and the issue most likely should be resolved, while having specifically that name of the cover attachment, because it's the most standard name used by the MKV files developers. I could be wrong here, but this is how I look at it. :slight_smile:

Icaros makes a big difference. Without Icaros, I can't see the audio languages, subtitles, chapters, bitrate and so on in my Win10 file explorer details view.

1 Like

Well, I was having that impression, that each time I reinstall Windows - all the covers were already somehow visible, but yes, without Icaros no additional data in the attachments won't be shown.

I just had a look at Icaros: there is an option "Use embedded Cover Art for thumbnails" and a sub-option "Use any embedded image as Cover Art" β€” this should already do the trick, but I think I'll change the filename to cover.jpg with the next version.

1 Like

Thank you Florian! I guess, I need to update my Icaros, can't find that option in Icaros (Ver. 3.1.0) from September 30, 2018. It's good to know, that they've added it, because in my case I've had to always make sure, that it's named specifically as the "Cover.jpg". Even the scripts that make MKVToolNix add cover art - were all set to use that title: here's an example of how a batch cover adding script looks like:

@echo off
FOR %%f IN (*.mkv) DO (
"C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvpropedit.exe" "%%~nf.mkv" --attachment-name "cover" --attachment-mime-type "image/jpeg" --add-attachment "%%~nf.jpg"
)
pause

1 Like

Mp3tag v3.06f should do the trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much, Florian!! It's working perfectly well now! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great! Thanks for confirming the fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

You're always welcome, my friend! :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.