Allow to start multiple instances of the process simultaneously to allow editing of multiple locations, instead of closing/opening into another location/folder.
See this thread:
What do you want to do?
Even now it is possible to add further folders either with a function from the toolbar or via drag&drop (plus Ctrl).
But all this has already been discussed in the linked thread.
I second this motion (and probably seconded it in the thread linked by @ohrenkino ). Adding folders, adding more files, drag&drop, yada yada, none of them can do what can often be best achieved (quickly & simply) by opening a second instance.
I'll second the request, too. But maybe in a simpler version.
Reading trough the older thread, it turns into "why on earth would you need this..."
In my case, I've ripped CDs to Mp3 as early as the 90s, then stopped ~2010 and put my CDs in storage. In recent years, I got my CDs out again and so far ripped ~3000 to FLAC!
"Read only mode" in a 2nd instance would be great for comparing meta data! My old Mp3 files often hold information, I wish to copy to my FLAC files. Seeing them side by side in two windows with the same GUI would make for a great side by side comparison!
It would also be great, if "Read only mode" would be available, when right clicking on a folder!
Cheers
You could achieve this in the current design by loading both sets of files into the same instance (e.g. with "Add folder" or via drag&drop) and then select all the old files, use Edit>Copy or Ctrl-C which copies the whole tags from all the selected files, then take care that the new files are in the same order as the old ones, select them and paste all the tags
to them with Ctrl-V.
TBH I do not see the need for another instance.
@ohrenkino Me and others have expressed their reasons why! Please don't make this thread go the same route as the old one, by stating things we already know and do, but are not suitable for ones individual workflow.
Reviewing left to right is well established practice!
I just tried to show a function that you might not be presently aware of and that could achive more or less that what you want to do.
When I read a feature request it is not always clear to me whether the function itself is important or to find a way to the result.
If the result should be "tag data has been copied from one set of files to another", then there is (already) a way.
In this case it looks to like the suggested function is more important. Let us see what the future will bring.
There is a way, but it involves some tinkering and is not supported.
First of all, you need handle.exe from Sysinternals; just download it from the Microsoft website and put it in C:\Windows\System32
Then you create a batch script with the following contents:
SET MyHandle=handle.exe
FOR /F "tokens=3,6 delims=: " %%I IN ('%MyHandle% SingleInstance_MMF_Mp3tag -nobanner') DO %MyHandle% -c %%J -y -p %%I -nobanner
PAUSE
Then execute it as administrator. Basically, you look up all associated file handles with MP3tag and delete the SingleInstance_MMF_Mp3tag one, so one can run it multiple times
I've mentioned this before - Tabbed Sessions in MP3Tag would be awesome.
Feature Request: Tabbed Windows - General Discussion - Mp3tag Community
Run multiple instances of Mp3tag - General Discussion - Mp3tag Community
Running Multiple Instances of MP3Tag - General Discussion - Mp3tag Community
I'll second the request, too. This desire keeps coming up all the time. I am not trying to justify or argue the point or change my methods I would really like this feature.
I process tons of Tv episodes and movies from staging folders and I launch Mp3tag via total commander through command line basically on folder level that have tons of either movies in it or shows with seasons and episodes. I rarely use drag and drop, command line integration with total commander is much better and quicker.
I would start a session containing tv episodes and prepare for what I need to do to process batches (e.g clear all meta data) and this could take very long I do about 1000 to 2000 episodes or movies easily.
I would like to then start another session where I could perform tasks on other folder for say movies and this could also take very long and not sit and wait around for an hour or more for the TV show to finish.
At no point do I want 2 sessions on the same data and normally it is also different drives.
Unfortunately not all new episodes and movies come with their meta data bits in the front and then mp3tag takes even longer to modify them.
I open multiple sessions of Filebot, ffmpeg and run handbrake and so, and meta data gatherers to process batches ( convert, compress and mux, enhance [topaz video]) files and many times Mp3tag ends up being a bottleneck for me.
I am not looking for more nasty workarounds, it can either do it or it can't and i would prefer to have this feature if it is possible at some point. I would prefer multiple session above tabs so when the app is very busy that it does not affect my other work at all.
I use it for many other functions clearing existing garbage meta data is just one of the many and then there is also music, but they are small files and tend to be quick. although I mostly use media monkey for mp3's but lately I have been using Mp3tag more and more to manipulate filenames and meta data from file names before I start with Monkey. But If it is busy with say movie processing then I am stuck again.
I gather many files before fixing big batches and manipulating them, I don't do 1 or 5 at a time. I also update my whole repository of tv & movies with meta data (collections and corrections) using Mp3tag afterwards because plex is completely unreliable when it comes to preserving one's precious custom Meta data over long periods of time and doing it manually in plex sucks.
For instance my movie "collections" come from folder structure naming conventions and mp3tag picks this up for me and I can re-run it over huge repositories of 20 000 to 30 000 movies on intervals to pick up changes made to these structures, tv episode is way more. and just reading the volume of files in this repo can take forever.
Thanks, I will look into what "Wimpers" said or suggested.