Change names of songs from a list

The audio files are called "track1", "track2", etc. I have a list of songs in text.

Is there a way to change the names in MP3Tag with a macro instead of one at a time?

Thanks

See the Function Convert>Text file-Tag: https://docs.mp3tag.de/menus/convert

And actually, I cannot see the picture. Please upload it to this forum.

You are talking about the filenames, not the names of the songs.
To rename the files is no problem if your tags are filled with the right content.
So do you have tags embedded in the files, like artist, title, tracknumber ... ?

If your do not have tags shown in mp3tag you should use the menue-item "websource " to fill the tags first.

--> You are talking about the filenames, not the names of the songs.

Correct. The filenames are track.mp3, track2.mp3 etc.
I want to change them to the names of the songs from a list.

--> So do you have tags embedded in the files, like artist, title, tracknumber ... ?

No - the tags are completely empty.

--> If your do not have tags shown in mp3tag you should use the menue-item "websource " to fill the tags first.

OK. So my question is; can we do this by me dumping the list of songs and it assigns it in order to the filenames? Say the album is 20 songs. Instead of individually renaming each song manually, is there a way to dump the list and automate it (like a macro).

I have hundreds of albums that use track1.mp3, track2.mp3 with no tags. Changing one song at a time manually would take days.

Check again what ohrenkino suggested above: you can use the converter "Text file - Tag" :mt_tff: and edit the list in a text editor so it basically shows one entry per line:

1. Fool In Love
2. 'Cause I Love You
3. Gee Whiz...

Use

%track%. %title%

as format string and then use the converter "Tag - Filename" :mt_ttf: to rename the files with, e.g.,

$num(%track%,2). %title%

as format string.

Kind regards
– Florian

1. Load files and make sure that loaded files and given filelist are sorted in the same order.

2. Select files to be changed.

3. Convert "Textfile - Tag"
    Filename of the text file, e. g.: M:\Mp3tag_Test\FN.List.txt
    Formatstring: %FN_TEMP%

4. Convert "Tag - Filename"
    Formatstring: %FN_TEMP%
    See Preview to check for problems.

5. Remove tag-field:
    Action "Remove fields": FN_TEMP

Ready.

DD.20170702.2022.CEST

Worked great in changing the filenames. Thanks.

I saw I had a couple of Album sets where the artists name and the title of the song was mixed. This was one of the formats.

1. I Was Born To Love You - Shirley Walton
  2. Precious, Precious - Isaac Hayes
  3. Send Peace And Harmony Home - Shirley Walton
  4. Soul Limbo - Booker T. & The MGs
  5. I've Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do) - Eddie Floyd
  6. It's Been A Long Time Coming - Delaney/Bonnie
  7. What A Man - Linda Lyndell
  8. I Like Everything About You - Jimmy Hughes

I can separate it easy with tabs, I could even make it a csv but how would I make it tag the artist name, the name of the song, etc, with the list?

See post #5 in this thread, ...
Change names of songs from a list
... does it fit to your needs?

DD.20170710.1305.CEST