Changing Cover Art if it is below 600x600 pixels

I keep all my music in iTunes and use the excellent MP3Tag to correct my .mp3 and .m4a tags and Cover Art usually prior to import.

However I have some rather old music files/folders within iTunes which were in my library prior to me discovering the MP3Tag software. I have batch corrected their tags using 'Actions' but many of the music files/albums still have low resolution Cover Art, (below 600x600 pixels)

I believe I can use MP3Tag to scan my entire iTunes library (approx. 800 albums) and replace all the existing Cover art using the quick action of "Import Cover from File" (all my folders already now contain either folder.jpg or folder.png so I would use the default wildcard "folder.*")

If I do this each time my entire library will be scanned by MP3Tag and ALL my library music files will be updated... which I guess is fine, but I just want this to happen only where the existing Cover Art is below 600x600 pixels. That will then leave alone a majority of my more recently imported albums.. which I am happy with already and would like to leave untouched.

Does anyone know of a way I can filter or ignore music/albums files with cover art above 600x600 prior to me running the quick action of "Import Cover from File"??

I do have some understanding on how to combine Actions into batch Actions etc. and save them in my action menu but do not understand functions etc. at the moment, so I am looking for an a simple action or method to combine with "Import Cover from File"?? that first selects any music file with a cover art resolution below 600x600.

I hope that makes sense?

Any help/suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Any solution to this could save me quite a lot of time and allow me to do the list of jobs my wife has left me this morning, as I am a day off work... so think of this as saving a man's life... ha ha :w00t:

No, MP3tag does not show the dimensions of a cover.
So there is no way to filter this criterion.

If you use the Windows Explorer you can let if find all the folder.* files and show the dimensions. If you then find the biggest file and its filesize, you can filter for the file size of a cover in MP3tag.

Sadly the filesize does not help as they vary in size despite having the same resolution and some are .jpg whilst others are .png ... I have opted to do this artist by artist. Have done 'A' and 'B' artists this afternoon.. I am also using albumartdownloader and beatunes software combined with MP3Tag to quicken the tasks.

The other 'side' issue is that Afterwards I have to remove my albums off apple iCloud and then upload all the songs again as the changes often fail to update the iCloud.

Anyhow I will get this sorted eventually but it may take a while... It is a bit laborious! Hopefully my library will be tidy one day.

Just wanted to say thanks ohrenkino for the quick reply and suggestions .. It is appreciated.

Kind regards...

Ken Griffiths

Hello,
I had a similar problem. Mp3tag can do what you want if you connect some tools to it.

You should try Album Art Downloader (I also use it as a tool in Mp3tag), but the browser (right-click the whole folder) gives you a quick look at the size of the first embedded cover or the first picture within the folder) and ImageMagick (it is a very powerful command line script that can be integrated into Mp3tag tool too) to resize your covers the way you want.

I got all this information within this forum. Search for the 2 programs, you may also find solutions with regex etc.

I had to fiddle a bit with imagemagick but now it takes seconds to resize thousands of covers (three steps: export (extract) (optional), format, and import.

A real charm, good work! Bye!

QUOTE ( @ Sep 12 2013, 07:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

I had a similar problem. Mp3tag can do what you want if you connect some tools to it.

You should try Album Art Downloader (I also use it as a tool in Mp3tag), but the browser (right-click the whole folder) gives you a quick look at the size of the first embedded cover or the first picture within the folder) and ImageMagick (it is a very powerful command line script that can be integrated into Mp3tag tool too) to resize your covers the way you want.

I got all this information within this forum. Search for the 2 programs, you may also find solutions with regex etc.

I had to fiddle a bit with imagemagick but now it takes seconds to resize thousands of covers (three steps: export (extract) (optional), format, and import.

A real charm, good work! Bye!

Thanks 'Gitiber' I have tried some of the software you mention and have now spent a few days completely sorting out my iTunes Library... I have managed to correct all my albums (over 900+) and now have 600x600 pixels cover art ... it has taken a lot longer than expected, but at least it is a 'one-off' experience.

There are still about a dozen or so covers I hope to improve with better images in the coming days - if I can find better images that is?? Albumart downloader has some excellent sources, but a few covers still need a bit of a personal touch-up.

Thanks again for your input... I have not tried imagemagick, but will take a look at the software in due course... it sound interesting.

Kind Regards...

Ken Griffiths

You could try Google Picture search. If you already know how the cover looks like, you should find bigger/better ones.