Hello, let me first clarify that I've been using mp3tag completely normally for around a year now and have experienced no problems at all from the moment I learned how to use the software. These problems were only brought up as recently as yesterday and (what I consider) extensive search of the forums for similar issues brought me no solutions.
This is to say, I am extremely happy with the results of the application and it's only because I want to go back to using it that I write this complaint.
All that said, I use a Windows 10 Home 64-bit system, running Mp3tag v3.09. I have a recently downloaded, otherwise tagless file that can be played normally through Windows Media Player, when I then open the file in Mp3tag and edit its tags (Usually Title, Artist, Album, Album Art, Track No., and Album Art) and try to open the file again with WMP, it no longer plays. The only error message I'm given is:
I ran into this problem twice, first I changed a bunch of songs at once (with no backup, since I'm used to the programme running perfectly, I've learned my lesson there now.) which "corrupted" all of them and made them unusable, then I downloaded a single song afterward and tested with it only.
A few things I've noticed while testing around to see what may be happening.
- While the changes appear just as intended in the Mp3tag programme itself, they do not show up in the Windows Explorer at all.
- Changing what types of tags I make as suggested by another thread (I changed the settings to write ID3v2 where possible as suggested, as well as removed APE entirely) accomplished nothing.
- Shortening the file path (I am currently using C:\Users\default\Desktop\New Music) didn't seem to be a problem.
- All files' original extension is mp3 and there doesn't seem to be any issues there.
- Within the first batch of ruined songs, SOME of the tags display !BAD, I have to admit I'm not fluent in this aspect of the programme, so if this is meaningless I wouldn't know.
- While WMP seems incapable of running the files, VLC plays them just fine.
I have reason to believe that the files I've downloaded might have some sort of issue in of themselves —I'm not getting them from a source I can trust downloads perfectly fine— but given they play fine right out the gate, I figured it might be important to bring it up nonetheless, especially given the weirdest detail for me: Removing all tags within Mp3tag fixes the file. As in, it becomes playable again.
Here I have a folder with two files.
OverthinkerTagged.mp3 (which doesn't work)
and Overthinker.mp3 (which does)
Overthinker.mp3 is very literally the exact same file as Tagged but I went to Mp3tag and removed all tags, then renamed the original file to "Tagged" and uploaded it again.
Thank you very much, and I apologise for the long post, but if there's anything I did find in the forums I dug through, it's that I should be as specific with my problem as possible.