Corsican update for version 3.09a

Hello @Florian ,

Please find attached an update of Corsican localization which has just been based on Mp3tag version 3.09a.

Corsican 3.09a.lng.zip (10.3 KB)

By the way, is there a way - via a distribution list, or another notification method - to be informed when they are new or modified strings in file English.lng?

Best regards,
Patriccollu.

Hello @Florian ,

My latest Corsican localization was delivered with Mp3tag version 3.10. Great!

But I noticed that all the No-Break Space characters (Alt+0160) have been suppressed. Does that mean that this character is not supported in the language files? If you confirm, I will replace them in the future by normal spaces.

Best regards,
Patriccollu.

Hello Patriccollu,

many thanks for the translation update! I wasn't sure about those extra spaces — is this something that's required by the Corsican language or is this a personal preference?

Also, there were some other issues with the language file, namely using = as separator between key and value in some cases (_C_OPT_APPEARANCE).

Regarding your question of a central place to get notified on new language strings, I was thinking about a topic in #development:translations where I could post a reply whenever there is an update. If you then subscribe to the topic, you would get notified.

@Florian
Hello Florian,

As far as I know, it's a punctuation rule, as in French, which avoids having a sign (colon, semicolon, question mark, exclamation mark,...) alone on a line after a break. So, for a next version, may I use this special character or do I have to use a normal space?

Shame on me :wink: for having forgotten the equal sign in the final version I sent you. Actually, I use OmegaT for my translations and the .lng files have usually a 'key=value' format. For Mp3tag, I use a first Notepad++ macro which replaces the first occurrence of a space by an equal sign on each string. And I have a second macro which does the reverse change. As I added 'on the fly' the 6 new C_OPT_APPEARANCE strings, I just forgot to change the equal sign back to a normal space.

Yes, I think that a specific topic in Translations' forum could do the job: being notified when there is an update.

Cheers,
Patriccollu.

@Florian
Hello Florian,

Regarding the punctuation rule, please can you confirm that I can use this special character (No-Break Space Alt+0160) in the future translation updates?

Best regards,
Patriccollu.

Hello @Patriccollu,

I had a look at the translation and the special character (No-Break Space Alt+0160) and it seems that it simply adds a space character in front of the punctuation signs.

I find this rather odd-looking, but this also might be my missing knowledge of the Corsican language and its punctuation rules.

If I'm not missing anything, I'd simply leave out the special space and the normal space and instead of, e.g.,
_C_OPT_CON_ST_FNAME Nome di schedariu :
I'd use
_C_OPT_CON_ST_FNAME Nome di schedariu:

@Florian
Hello Florian,

The correct syntax for your example is:

The special space character between 'schedariu' and ':' is a space which also avoids breaking the string in a wrong way in case of lack of room for the string.

With this special space - and in the case of lack of room for the complete string - the string will be displayed as:

Nome di
schedariu :

With a normal space - still in the case of lack of room for the complete string - the string will be displayed as:

Nome di schedariu 
:

We have to use the same special character for other punctuation signs such as: ! ? ; « »

Best regards,
Patriccollu.

@Florian
Hello Florian,

I hope that you are well!

Here is a summary regarding the space needed to respect Corsican punctuation signs, using your previous string as an example:

1. This first syntax (using a special character 'No-Break Space Alt+0160') is the prefered option:

2. This second syntax (using a simple space character) is 'visually' correct, but a problem may occur (explained in previous comment) when the complete string can't fit on a single line:

3. This last syntax is incorrect:

_C_OPT_CON_ST_FNAME Nome di schedariu:

So the question is: May I use the No-Break Space (Alt+0160) or do I have to replace it with simple space character?

Best regards,
Patriccollu.

Hi Patriccollu,

I think you can use the special character 'No-Break Space Alt+0160' if it's the preferred option for your language. If it's looking good in Mp3tag's UI, I'm also fine with it.

@Florian
Hi Florian,

I installed latest version 3.14 and checked it using a new .lng file containing several No-Break Space (Alt+0160) character and it looks to be fine.

Best regards,
Patriccollu.