[Feature Request] Please show Picture/Cover art description as new information field

As far as I know, we don't have (yet) the possibility to show the content of "Cover description" in a self-defined column or in the tag panel.

We can set it manually by right-clicking on a existing Cover Art:

But it would be great to have a new information field like
cover_description
in addition to the already existing 6 fields about covers:

If you want to know which of your musicfiles includes such a cover description and what this field contains, you can use the 3rd-party-tool exiftool with this commandline:

exiftool.exe -m -ID3:PictureDescription -p "$filename with a Cover_Picture_Description:$ID3:PictureDescription" -r -if "$ID3:PictureDescription" -ext mp3 .

Please use it exactly as listed above with all spaces and the space dot at the end!
(Of course you can change the part with a Cover_Picture_Description: as you need)
This command will recursively search your *.mp3 files starting from your current directory and output matching files like this:

03 - PANDORA.mp3 with a Cover_Picture_Description:Pandora - up10Tion
10764 directories scanned
52055 files failed condition
    1 image files read

In this test, 52'055 mp3 files did not include such a cover description, only 1 file has matched the condition and show its content as Pandora - up10Tion (as in the example screenshot above).

2 Likes

I support this and would like to add that the function should check all embedded pictures for descriptions, not just the first one.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on that? Should it compose multiple descriptions to a delimited list?

I'm asking, because the other information fields only consider the first image which would make the the behavior inconsistent.

The idea would be:
it would be a shame if the first picture did not have a description but the second would and if you filter for something like

and you would not get a hit as the description is only available in further embedded pictures then the result would be misleading.
I am not sure what to do with the description - if I want to update it, I would have to select all files with the same image and edit it. Otherwise I would not know which cover I would be treating.

On the other hand: if the filter selected the right set of files, I think the rest would be manual work.

I mean, right now the filter with
%_cover_type% HAS back
also produces results even though the column for %_cover_type% shows only the type of the first cover (which is usually "front") and I have to check what the back cover looks like.

So my primary intention was to make sure that if I want to filter for files with picture description, I get them all, regardless which picture has the description.
TBH: I did not even think of lists or something ... but now that you mention it ...
But as you say: a list here would nourish the expectation that e.g. the %_cover_type% would also get a list. But then what about height and width? How would one know which belongs to which?
I see the problem. And for the time being I would be satisfied if I could filter for the description with the same basic function as I could filter for the %_cover_type%.

I think this only works if the first cover that fills the %_cover_type% information field is the back cover.

Dammit. :wink: You are right, of course. I probably mixed that with
NOT %_cover_type% HAS Front

which produced all covers of the type Other which was once the fasion in podcasts.
But ... i certainly would have liked such a function. Just like the filter that works with just a single word and then you see all the files where that word appears anywhere in the metadata. This would also be nice for the picture description.

I've added the %_cover_description% field with Mp3tag v3.12a and it provides the description of the first cover art in the tag of the file.

3 Likes

Thank you for this addition @florian.

Just as a reminder for myself when I look for it later:
%_cover_description% is one more information field
(like the other 6 already existing cover information fields about height, width, type, size... or any other information field starting with an underline after the % character.)

Therefore I can not use it in a user-defined column (or in the tag panel) to directly change the content. Such an information field always only show the content.

To mass change such a Cover Description with an action, we can use the action type
"Set cover properties":
This action can also be used to delete every existing Cover Description content for all selected tracks. Just leave the text input field empty.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.