For those who do not believe in extremely strange artist- or album names

Accidently I found an artist with a very rare album name:

Just for those believing strange artist names or even stranger album names doesn't exist :innocent: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Ever since Prince turned into the unpronounceable "symbol" or "tafkap" I know that there are more things between heaven and earth that our taught knowledge could phantasize.

Although, to be honest, I don't understand why any artist should do this, esp. the one that @LyricsLover showed ...
Artists have to be known and they must be found to gain some kind of celebrity, they have to stand out from the masses - otherwise they simply vanish in the see of all the other names of artists.
Using such symbols guarantees to fade to oblivion before any kind of fame could come.
I would sack the person who tricked me into this, if I were the artist.

1 Like

Just imagine:
You see this name on your random radio station playlist and think: How the hell should I anncounce this thing?

Where to place this in your collection? Where would you search in your favorite CD/Vinyl store for this album or artist?

BTW: The above artist is also called "ASCII 176 177 178" :sweat_smile:
You have to press ALT + 176ALT + 177ALT + 178 to write his name. I think this artist overdid it a bit with the uniqueness of his name.

1 Like

Oh, dwelling on that idea I would have called myself "ASCII 32 27" which would decode to "Space Escape" ... that would have a nerdy ring to it, I think.

1 Like

What are the odds... Just a few days ago I was using exactly those 3 characters in an Action group. I needed unusual characters that wouldn't emerge in a title or filename, plus I wanted them to be very visible / easily spotted as they were cross-referenced within the Action group.

I didn't even bother to check around if those odd characters could appear in tags, somewhere out in the wild... But out of the plethora of unusual characters and alt-codes you can choose from, I managed to pick some that were already "taken" by this artist. Funny indeed.

Luckily I'm probably too old for their music anyway, so this won't affect my Action group which can remain as is.

...what was the approach when this artist's name came about? "Why don't we look up some cute alt-codes to make us really special"

1 Like

You know about old ACII based DOS-GUIs?
It was common to use that chars for simple ascii "graphics"
https://miro.medium.com/max/640/1*micS3WjEhtch6IxqHHyCRQ.png

regards
Peter

2 Likes

Thanks. The DOS reference didn't occur to me. You're probably right, but I don't remember them looking like the Alt+176/177/178 characters. Could be due to different fonts of course.

... or maybe my memory just doesn't serve me well

well, long time ago.
https://i.stack.imgur.com/U4Ufy.gif

1 Like