Formatting Text in the Comments Field

Before using MP3tag I have used other MP3 editors which allow the comments field to be "formatted", i.e. I can type lists and create paragraphs by using returns in the text input. MP3tag does not display these, but maybe I have missed something?

I like to export PDFs with a number of the text fields which are presented when the HTML export function is used, allowing me to see these comment fields along with the other details of each file in a convenient form. This is why formatting in the comments field is so useful. Currently, such PDFs just list off the text characters as one long wrapped line of text.

See here for suggestions to get linebreaks (back):slight_smile: UNSYNCEDLYRICS – line breaks lost when pasted from Lyrics Finder

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry, but, although that post deals with the issue (as far as I can tell) I have no idea what it means for me with regard to my original post - seeing the line breaks in either the MP3tag program or in the subsequent exporting of an HTML document which I also export to PDF.

In the thread a way is described to copy the text into a text editor to see if there are any control characters at all in the data - apparently, the windows built-in editor converts these so that the linebreaks become visible.

Once you have verified that the control characters for linebreaks can be found in the data of the comment field, try the following in
Convert > Tag-Tag for COMMENT
Format string: $regexp(%comment%,\n,\r\n)

For an export into HTML, it could be necessary to use
<p>$replace(%comment%,$char(13)$char(10),<\p><p>)

Thank you.

Given that I have lots and lots of MP3s with this problem, that would be a very labour-intensive thing to have to do. Is it possible that the app could have a facility built into it for such a purpose?

As actions treat all the selected files in 1 go, it would cost the effort to create an action or an export script once and then use it on all the files.

I would say that the function is already there.
But who knows what changes the future will bring.
Until then you know now a way to achieve the same goal.

I still have not quite understood where you get the problem: in the display of the data in MP3tag or after export into an html file.