Freezing when trying to get album art

I never came to the idea to search in this opening-explorer-window, so I tried it now for the first time and I have no problem. No freezing. So it must be a local problem of your OS-installation.
But even if you prefer it to do manually piece for piece:
Why do you use the search at all instead of navigating to the folder and cover-file which is sorted by name and alphabet.

I think that the function is called "Add cover" or "Open cover". The resulting window is a standard explorer window - so it would be a question why the explorer freezes.
A test could be: try the search for that picture that you are looking for in the plain explorer without calling it from inside MP3tag - does the explorer also freeze?
If you are successful to find the pictures in the explorer without MP3tag - did you know that you could drag&drop the file then onto the tag panel area to insert it (don't forget to save)?

If you have a naming pattern that allows to generate a filename for the picture, you could also create an action even with tag field variables or scripting functions to import the pictures automatically.
And last but not the least: make sure that the audio files are really ok. Run the linked test tools.

This is also what I was trying to suggest. It does appear you have a naming structure in place that mp3tag can do automatically.

POSTER: I've tried that route and for some reason, sometimes, not all the time it will freeze as well. I do however use it to get rid of cover art once the cover art is transposed in MP3Tag and it works fine. I also Keep the cover art in a separate folder away from the mp3s
It would be nice to be able to use a macro of some sort but I'm not a scripter so I have no idea how to do that. I am very picky as to cover art that is in the mp3. I try to get the original record cover art if there is one, as well as the original album art. In some cases, if you should use a tag source, it may not be the original art. it will not pick the record art but will give you the album art and most people will settle for that but the question is is it the original album art? Because I have about 8 thousand mp3's, which is probably small in comparison to some, I prefer doing the art manually because of the numbering system. The numbering system may seem strange to some but you have to be able to tell the difference between two or more songs that have the same title but different artists.
So we've deviated from the original question and apparently, everyone has a different way of doing things which is fine by me. I like the way the program was originally designed and its way of doing things.
OHRENKINO: Win 11 does things differently than 10 and the reason why I say this is because if you should put a name of anything in the Explorer window(in regards to MP3Tag) it doesn't show up if you right-click and paste, you have to click that search box again and THEN it will show up. Why this happens I have no idea unless there is a bug in 11 because I can use 11 all day long and have no problems UNTIL I use MP3Tag and that Explorer window to search for the cover art. Maybe when there is an update to 11 that may be taken care of but right now I just have to put up with it.

POSTER: going to the folder which contains the cover art, even though alphabetically named takes time. It's smarter to place all cover art in one folder with the mp3s. The reason why I say this is because when you search for the cover art it defaults to your mp3 folder. It's much quicker to just copy the name of the mp3 and paste it in the explorer window search box which opens because it will find it right away rather than having to scroll through all that art. Try it.

That may be as you feel it.
Still, you did not answer the following questions:

and

And

So could you describe that plus where you store the picture files?

What happens if you navigate to the picture with a plain explorer outside MP3tag, get the filename (and path) and then paste that information in the function to add a cover?
Isn't drag&drop in this case much easier? You have one explorer window in which you can search and then drag&drop the picture in MP3tag?

OHRENKINO: It doesn't matter what file I'm looking for. It will work for a while then freeze. I'm getting to believe it might even be me that's causing the freezing and I say this because sometimes I have a tendency to hit the right and left click simultaneously which may be the cause, I'll have to check that out. Sometimes you do things without even thinking because you've done it so much, but that could be a possibility. I realize that my way may be slower than using a service to paste cover art in mp3s but I'm old school and as i stated before I'm picky.

My suggestion was to use your existing images. And with the file format you have, this looks like it can be a straightforward action. If this proves not easy to do with your image file naming convention, then you are back to doing it manually.

The other suggestion was to use the drag&drop method - simply have mp3tag open in one window and an Explorer window open in another. You have multiple monitors so this is very easy (for other users with just one monitor - this works as well, just smaller). After you select the song(s) in mp3tag you want to update, find the image file you want in Explorer (you can search your way, or simply scroll through the browser if you prefer), then drag that image file to the cover box in the mp3tag tag panel. Make sure you save before moving on to another. [This means you do not have to right click in the cover box and select "Add Cover", that window is already open and waiting for you.]

This is about as easy as it gets, and does not require you to keep opening new Explorer windows each time. If you are still having issues with freezing doing it this way, I'd have to think it is something else causing the problem.

Could you please tell us what you expect from the forum participants?
I honestly do not understand why you do not try out any of the offered suggestions and tell us what the result are in respect to the original problem of "freezing" - as no-one apparently could reproduce your observation.
Me, for my own part, I do not expect you to change your workflow if you do not like the other ways - but I expect you to limit down the possible options for the root cause.
If in the end the result is

then that is just the way it is - but if the other ways did not cause the freezing then this might be an alternative.
by now at least 2 people have spent their time and thought about your problem. I think it would be an act of decency to value this time and also spent some effort to narrow down the cause - which would mean to answer the already known questions.

I would also like to draw your attention to the just recently published

Perhaps they shed some light on why you are being asked those questions.

OHRNKINO: If you think for one minute I do not appreciate anyone trying to duplicate a problem or spending their own time trying to duplicate the problem, you're sadly mistaken. I appreciate it more than you know. II am not proficient with any type of scripting nor do I know coding, consequently, I'm stuck with what I know.
The objective of a Forum is to iron out any problems anyone may have through the use of SMEs. Who else knows more than someone who has played around with a program and is knowledgeable about specific aspects of that program. With all the people out there who use not only MP3Tag but other programs as well, there is a wealth of knowledge to be tapped into. As far as this particular matter is concerned consider the matter closed.I found the problem and it's on my end. I am sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused and I do, truly, appreciate all of you .

@xpac5896a Most here have no problem sharing. I think what @ohrenkino was asking was simply to have you report back what you have found, based on what advice was provided. Besides confirming that your struggle was resolved, bear in mind that these suggestions live on this forum and can help others with similar problems that can be also be fixed simply by reading this thread. If something specific worked for you, or didn't, that feedback proves helpful to many others. And if none of those offers helped and you found the solution separately, that too would help the next person in need.

Glad you are sorted out, so you can get back to perfecting your library! :+1:

1 Like

MotleyG: I wanted to respond to the idea of using drag and drop. Granted this may work but I guess you could say that that method may be useful for some but when you have a large library it takes time and besides, I wear glasses so in some cases things look a little fuzzy using my second monitor, I'm gonna get that fixed at my next eye exam, but though it's a good idea I feel that the way the program is set up you're supposed to use the Explorer window because it will give you exactly what you are looking for in a heartbeat. I use my second monitor to open explorer and use the dropdown for searching for what I just looked for and that way I get rid of used jpgs and put them in my art folder. I keep all my art, maybe a little weird but you never know. I thank you for your suggestion. I have a question for you. How do you keep your cover art? In other words, do you name the art as the mpg, use numbers or not keep iit at all? Seems the way I keep mine is weird.

If the picture file is named like the audio file then you could create an action of the type
"Import cover from file" in which you enter as
Format string: d:\mycoverfolder\%_filename%.jpg
This would then import the covers for all the selected files where the filename of the audio file matches the filename of the picture file (except the extension).
I bet that this goes much quicker than drag&drop and the search method that you use.
Yet, if the filenames do not match, then nothing gets imported, so no harm done.

Just one footnote: I don't think that mpg files are supported by MP3tag.

OHRENKINO: that would be a great idea and I never knew you could do that. But seeing as how most of my MP3s, sorry for the wrong nomenclature, have two files and you have 5000 mp3s to place album art in, that would make 10,000 different actions that would have to be created. I"m guessing one action would have to be executed at a time. I'm going to have to look at the creation of "actions" because maybe it's possible to create a global action for all files but how to code it is beyond my knowledge and because the names of all files are different I doubt it could be done. If you had one file then that would be a different story.

That is why I suggested

You might see %_filename% which is an MP3tag variable that takes the filename of the current audio file and then looks for a jpg file with the same name.
That would work for every selected file.
I have named the limitations in respect to a successful executions in my previous post.
(As I know that one only thinks that the filenames are the same but in fact they are only similar ... then it does not work)

I have embedded the art into each file. That way there is no loss of the association. In a few cases I have some tracks with two or more images, from albums that had alternative releases. Most have just one.

Looking back at your screen shot, it appears you have two separate images for every song. Other than a visual inspection, what is typically the difference and how do you choose that can be defined?

This can be automated, you highlight all of your songs, then run a single action of “Import Cover From File” and use the definition that matches. This would be the drive:/folder location plus identifying details that match your file names.

If there are some discrepancies you can repeat the process and change that definition to catch any that were missed. Much faster this way than doing it 5000 times.

MOTLEYG: You are correct in the fact that there are two separate images for almost every song this includes the record that came out and the album from which it came. This may seem a little strange but you must admit that every song, well almost every song, has a record to purchase plus that record is usually taken from an album, thus the two. At the present time, I only have about 350 songs completed I still have about 2300 more to go and in some cases I failed, for some reason, to download the art so I have to do it manually. I actually enjoy doing it that way because I know that the correct art is with the correct record. Doing it your way may save time but with 2300 songs and possibly 2200 or more having two files would be hard to do because I would have to identify each record cover plus each album cover for each song, I appreciate your response but that was not the question first posed. As I stated to ohrenkino I had found the problem and have corrected it, my error.

Could you then please tell us what caused the freezing. Originally, you implied that this might be to blame to MP3tag.
Even if it isn't - could you please help other users and describe what led to the described situation and how you overcame it so that they can avoid it?

Glad you are sorted. Feel free to update this post with any solution you were able to find. Otherwise we can mark it a case-closed.

I do find this confusing - most songs come from an "Album" as a collection. The album generally features just one cover, with some exceptions. Rarely does each "Song" from an album have it's own cover. But to each their own - you are absolutely able to manage these by song if that is what you prefer. If you feel additional support for this topic is required, please open a new thread.

1 Like