Have artist and title - need year

Hi, I've been using mp3tag to manually edit my mp3s with great success. I have a few thousand songs (many actually), with correct artist and title tags only, but no year tag. Now I want to use "tag sources" to get only the year tag (ideally the fist year of release of any particular song), and possibly (but not necessarily) the genre tag. First I tried freedb, but for any given track, the results were always wrong, it never got the song right. So I then tried musicbrainz, which pops up a box "Search by:Album title" which I don't have. So then I installed the discogs pone 2.7 script, and used the "search by album artist and title", which finds the correct album, but not the correct song (I have to manually align the song from the right box, with the correct one on the left box), so when I proceed, it changes all the tags of my mp3. I only want to add the year tag, and leave all the other tags as they were, but not do it completely manually, is there a way to speed up this process? Any suggestions are welcome.

I am afraid that there is very little hope. a title and the artist do not say anything about the album which could be the original, a sampler, a "greatest" hits, "very greatest", live etc. Only if you know the original source is it possible to determine the year.
If you happen to have a folder structure that gives a hint about the album (I cannot imagine that you have thousands of files in one folder) then the converter filename - tag may be helpful if you use the backslash to address the super-ordinate directory:

%album%\%dummy%
would extract only the album name.

You could take my Search by Artist + Title Script, open it in a text editor, delete everything after [ParserScriptAlbum]= besides:

[ParserScriptAlbum]=...
 # Year
 outputto "Year"
 findline "class=\"head\">Released:"
 moveline 3 1
 findinline "&year=" 1 1
 sayuntil "\""

then it only writes the year without any other tags.

Thank you, that worked out fine with the year only tag. Now if only it could compare the years by it self and choose the oldest, this would be the best as I wouldn't have to go through thousands of files manually.

And yes, I didn't keep the traditional folder structure, but instead I have most of my pop, rock, and jazz mp3s all in one folder. They are much easier to handle this way, since the file names are "artist - title", and if I need further categorization, I use mp3tag as a file manager as well...

another two solutions for you:

Solution 1
take my Search by Artist + Title Script, which you have already edited, and change the [IndexUrl] to:

[IndexUrl]=http://www.discogs.com/advanced_search?artist=%s&btn=Search+Releases&sort=year%2Casc

this sorts the search matches to the oldest release on top automatically

Solution 2:
make a new script:

[Name]=Discogs Year only without control
 [AlbumUrl]=http://www.discogs.com/advanced_search?artist=%s&btn=Search+Releases&sort=year%2Casc
 [WordSeperator]=+
 [SearchBy]=$regexp(%artist%,^The (.*),$1)&track=%title%

[ParserScriptAlbum]=...
 outputto "YEAR"
 joinuntil "<div id=\"footer_border\">"
 regexpreplace "(?<=div class=\"search_release_stats\">\d\d\d\d<span).*" "$1"
 SayRegExp "(?<=div class=\"search_release_stats\">)\d+?(?=<span)"

This gives you automatically the earliest year of the search matches as you wanted it. But you can't check if it is really the song you wanted.
E.g.: If you search for Artist=Joe & Title=Away
You will get also results for Artist=Joe Cocker & Title=Sail Away
and the script will pick the year of the oldest release without letting you know which track it really was

I'm using the script and for some reason the year is no longer showing in the new tag. I've reviewed the script the Year filed is not blocked has something changed. This happens for Album, Artist, Artist + Album search.

Any idea what's going on

QUOTE (pone @ Mar 30 2011, 17:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
another two solutions for you:

Solution 1
take my Search by Artist + Title Script, which you have already edited, and change the [IndexUrl] to:

[IndexUrl]=http://www.discogs.com/advanced_search?artist=%s&btn=Search+Releases&sort=year%2Casc

this sorts the search matches to the oldest release on top automatically

Solution 2:
make a new script:

[Name]=Discogs Year only without control
 [AlbumUrl]=http://www.discogs.com/advanced_search?artist=%s&btn=Search+Releases&sort=year%2Casc
 [WordSeperator]=+
 [SearchBy]=$regexp(%artist%,^The (.*),$1)&track=%title%

[ParserScriptAlbum]=...
 outputto "YEAR"
 joinuntil "<div id=\"footer_border\">"
 regexpreplace "(?<=div class=\"search_release_stats\">\d\d\d\d<span).*" "$1"
 SayRegExp "(?<=div class=\"search_release_stats\">)\d+?(?=<span)"

This gives you automatically the earliest year of the search matches as you wanted it. But you can't check if it is really the song you wanted.
E.g.: If you search for Artist=Joe & Title=Away
You will get also results for Artist=Joe Cocker & Title=Sail Away
and the script will pick the year of the oldest release without letting you know which track it really was

Beluna, what Script are you talking about?
The Script Codes in this thread are for a extra modification of my scipt. Shows only year and is only for "Search by Artist + Title" Script.

If you talk about my "main" script: /t/9226/1
please post errors there.
But I think most probably you haven't the newest version (2.7). Discogs.com changed something with the release date in the begin of March and that made a update of the script necessary. This was fixed already in v2.6 on the next day, so just look on the main thread of my script for updates if something is not working. That's why I include the version numbers in the name, so everybody can easily check if he has the latest one.

Thanks, I tried this, but I get the entries that don't have a year coming on top. Can that be fixed?
And then how do I automate the process if I choose 100 songs so that the script is run, then the year value is selected and pasted on the tag, then the next song... and so on and so forth? Is it possible?

That's the way discogs.com sorts the search results. The only thing a Mp3tag script could do here is filtering the results without year, but that would not display more results.

No. Mp3tag is not made for fully automatic scripts. And the web sources scripts are primarly made for whole albums, not single tracks.
My solution 2 from above is as close as you get to your fully automated year entries. But as explained above, the automated web scripts make mistakes.

EDIT:
I found another trick for solultion 1:

[IndexUrl]=http://www.discogs.com/advanced_search?artist=%s&range=after&year1=1800&btn=Search+Releases&sort=year%2Casc

This displays only releases wich are after the year 1800. That means only releases with date, and 1800 should be early enough to not exclude any good matches.

Yes, that did it. You have been very helpful, thanks. As for the automation, I guess I will have to look elsewhere. I love mp3tag