I don't believe Ctrl+Z should undo saving tag while I edit tags in Tag panel

In my mind, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+X and Ctrl+Z are a standard bunch of shortcuts associated with editing and their behaviour should be the same. Now (in Mp3tag 2.58) we have that Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and Ctrl+X act differently in Tag panel versus file list, but Ctrl+Z acts the same (which is "undo saving tag").

This could be unimportant, but several times I had a situation when I wanted to undo typing or editing a field in Tag panel, but instead I lost all whe work done in several Tag panel fields! This can be pretty upsetting. The reason is a strong habit that Ctrl+Z is used to undo editing an edit field across all the applications (though, some of them don't have a shortcut for that). I think there are other users with such "mechanical" habit. And I never use "undo saving tag" command, but undoing typing is important for me.

As for now the solution will be disabling Ctrl+Z shortcut: either by means of AutoHotkey or by editing "English.lng". Ok, I've edited "English.lng", it's easier.

Thank you for considering this thing!

Information typed in the tag panel is stored only if you explicidly save that information. So before you have used the save function, there is no reference to which an undo can roll back to.

If you edit in the files list and have entered something you do not want but have not yet moved to the next field, then press Escape to revert to the previous version.
As soon as you leave the field, the information is saved and you can undo this saving with Ctrl-Z.

So I would say that the behaviour of Mp3tag is consistent - so where is the bug?

I would agree there but add the rider of "with similar applications"

I use and have tested several retagging or renaming applications and they all have the behaviour of Ctrl+Z being the "Undo last save", though to be fair, they do have a modal alert that warns of this and require confirmation before performing the action.

The behavior is not consistent and that is well explained in the first post.