Import from csv file

Hi,
According to this help page I created the following csv file::

C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp,99fcbf40bc9f73f94d6259326f7e88ca.mp3,nī hǎo,Lesson1,1,你好
C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp,e245ba62ae39ec9cea31460a5da61611.mp3,wǒ,Lesson1,2,我

and I'm using the following format string:

%_path%%_filename_ext%%title%%album%%track%%dummy%

but all I get in preview is this:: 

"C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp\99fcbf40bc9f73f94d6259326f7e88ca.mp3" ->
title: 
album: 
track: 

"C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp\e245ba62ae39ec9cea31460a5da61611.mp3" ->
title: 
album: 
track:

It's only reading the path and filename correctly. I press OK but nothing is imported, no tags added. I try to refresh, still the same. Am I missing something?

• The delimiter char , is missing in the format string
  • %_path% is the complete path with the file name

Change the csv:

C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp\99fcbf40bc9f73f94d6259326f7e88ca.mp3,nī hǎo,Lesson1,1,你好
C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp\e245ba62ae39ec9cea31460a5da61611.mp3,wǒ,Lesson1,2,我

Change the format string:
%_path%,%title%,%album%,%track%,%dummy%

QUOTE (dano @ Feb 25 2011, 23:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- The delimiter char , is missing in the format string
  • %_path% is the complete path with the file name

Change the csv:

C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp\99fcbf40bc9f73f94d6259326f7e88ca.mp3,nī hǎo,Lesson1,1,你好
C:\Users\dodo\Desktop\exp\e245ba62ae39ec9cea31460a5da61611.mp3,wǒ,Lesson1,2,我

Change the format string:

%_path%,%title%,%album%,%track%,%dummy%<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks, that works.
the tags were imported, but I'm getting jargon instead of Chinese characters, does mp3tag support unicode? The csv file was saved as UTF8 and the line endings as CR+LF

utf-8 files must have a byte order marker at the beginning to get detected correctly.
You can use Notepad and save the file with utf-8 encoding, it should add the BOM.

Hi, I think this is probably down to my lack of knowledge about text data convention when exporting/importing between different file-types and programs - I hope someone can help.

I'm struggling with Convert > text file - tag. Here's my source mp3 file in mp3tag:

I export to a .csv file:

(Here's that output in a spreadsheet, in case that's informative):

I navigate in mp3tag to my target file:

I use Convert > Text file - Tag and select the .csv file created by the export:

I look at the preview, which is obviously not right, but this is how it came out of the export:

I OK the import to my target file, and observe that the field names, rather than the original fields' contents, have been imported. Furthermore, the data is all in one field of the target file's tags:

I have similar problems with importing from .txt files. It looks as though I'm using Unicode 16, and I've made sure that BOM is on. I suspect I'll have to edit the export .csv format file, which currently looks like this:

... if that's the case, I'd be very grateful for some assistance as to what edits to make.

It's the same error, your using a wrong format string.
The format string must match the pattern in the csv file.

So try this or adapt the export file.

%title%;%artist%;%album%;%track%;%year%;%dummy%;%dummy%;%dummy%;%dummy%;%_filename_ext%;

And before you import from a csv file you must remove the first line if it is only a caption.

Excellent! That has worked, thank you very much, dano! mp3tag sees the first line of the csv file, created by the export, as data, whereas I guess it's just a reminder to the user as to the format string. Then, when importing ("Text file - Tag"), you make sure your format string, as shown in the import dialogue, matches up. Then you just have to make sure your format string uses the same seperator character, delete the "reminder" line in the exported csv file (I found I had to delete the mp3tag credit-line at the end as well, otherwise mp3tag saw it as a line which it "Could not parse...". I'll look further in these forums for more on that), and away you go!

Thanks again.

You should know, that Mp3tag is not CSV ready, neither on export nor on import!
The user will be responsible to do it right using the adjustable Mp3tag export interface and the adjustable "Textfile - Tag" convert.

DD.20110318.1919.CET

Understood, and I appreciate the heads-up. I'm going to try the TXT functionality now.

That was easier than I expected! Once you've arranged your desired field format in the txt_taglist.mte export configuration file there's no further editing to be done (apart from making sure that the import format string matches when the time comes)! It just works!