ITunes Purchased By

I want to find all songs in my iTunes library where the Purchased By is not me.

1. Is there a column that exposes this data?
  2. Is there a way to search an entire directory to find just those Purchased By that I am seeking?

New to MP3Tag so my knowledge is limited. However, I did try to add a column in the tags based on older posts and I could not find a column ITUNESACCOUNT in the options.

These are the search results for "purchased by itunes":

You could check for a single file what the extended tags shows and whether there is a field for that data.
You could then filter for that field

%fieldname% PRESENT

where you replace %fieldname% with the correct fieldname.

Note that these iTunes information fields show the data that was present for the original purchaser. They can be changed or even deleted. However the original info is still watermarked into the file, even since the DRM was removed by Apple. You can confirm this by looking at the file in iTunes after making any edits or deletions. It will still show the original purchaser ID and dates. This info cannot be changed with mp3tag.

Are you sure? Do you have any source for this?
Is this information not just saved in iTunes database, linked to this file?
I can't imagine that Apple really creates a unique watermark into the files (the audio-part or metadata?) for every single purchase.

1 Like

I believe that YOU don't change such a value inside the metadata @Florian.

But I'm not sure if an email address in the metdata can be really used as a "watermark".

and

As the OP, I wish to clarify that I don’t want to alter anything. I want to find which columns displays Purchased By, and then sort by that column so I can find all songs not purchased by me.

You could check for a single file what the extended tags dialogue Alt-T shows and whether there is a field for that data.
You could then filter for that field

%fieldname% PRESENT

where you replace %fieldname% with the correct fieldname.

In addition to @ohrenkino 's advice, you can add additionals columns like this

for the columns mentioned here like ITUNESOWNER, ITUNESACCOUNT, ITUNESPURCHASEDATE

Still struggling here. Version for me is 3.17 (current).

I cannot fine a column for ITUNESACCOUNT. Am I looking in the right place?

Have you checked the name in the extended tags dialogue?
If so, and you don't find that name in a field list, then simply type it in.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, Saturday = outdoor chores day :yum:

There are already some other replies that have links to some backup info. A simple way to confirm this is to copy one of your files downloaded from iTunes to a new temporary location. Rename the file to something you can easily identify to make sure you work with the copy. Delete all of the iTunes related tags. Change as many of the other recognizable tags like title, album, Artist, etc. as you want. Then scan the new file into iTunes. All of the tag changes will be reflected, yet the original owner and and purchase dates will still be shown in the file info section.

There may be other ways to make changes to this info, but it is definitely something Apple has left intact for a reason. I would have to believe that even without any DRM in place, there is still some agreement with the labels that this detail is kept intact.

1 Like