List of albums

Hello

I would like to know if there is a quick and easy way to make a list of albums?

I know how to export tags from my collection to a TXT file. But I will get something like:

Artist A - Album 1- Song 1
Artist A - Album 2 - Song 2
Artist A - Album 2 - Song 3
Artist A - Album 3 - Song 4
Artist B - Album 4 - Song 5
Artist B - Album 4 - Song 6
Artist B - Album 4 - Song 7
Artist C - Album 5 - Song 8
Artist C - Album 5 - Song 9

And what I would like to get is:

Artist A - Album 1
Artist A - Album 2
Artist A - Album 3
Artist B - Album 4
Artist C - Album 5

Or oven better:

Artist A
Album 1
Album 2
Album 3

Artist B
Album 4

Artist C
Album 5

Is it possible in Mp3tag?

Yes.
Append the $loop-statement with a 1, e.g.
$loop(%artist%,1)%artist%
$loop(%album%,1)%album%$loopend()$loopend()

Unfortunately this gives me a

Nick Glennie-Smith
The Man In The Iron Mask ScoreThe Rock (Completed Edition) ScoreNick Glennie-Smith feat. Hans Zimmer & Harry Gregson-Williams
The Rock ScoreThe Rock (Expanded Edition) ScoreThe Rock ScoreNico Tuason

instead of

Nick Glennie-Smith
The Man In The Iron Mask Score
The Rock Score

Nick Glennie-Smith feat. Hans Zimmer & Harry Gregson-Williams

The Rock (Completed Edition) Score
The Rock (Expanded Edition) Score
The Rock Score

Nico Tuason

And it also lists all the artists who don't have an album tag in their tracks. [Right now I can workaround this issue by clicking the album column, selecting all the non-album tracks an removing them from the list- and then creating an export from such a reduced list]

Then add a linebreak in the code:
$loop(%album%,1)%album%$loopend()
$loopend()

With respect to artists without album: I would say: GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).
It is you who has to determine if the result is what you want or not. I would say, it is correct as it also tells you that the album field has not been filled for a certain artist. But that is only my opinion.

OK; now I used a variation like that:

$loop(%album%,1)%album%$loopend()

$loopend()
<<

which in turn gave me a modified results like these:

Nick Glennie-Smith

The Man In The Iron Mask ScoreThe Rock (Completed Edition) Score

The Rock (Completed Edition) ScoreThe Rock (Expanded Edition) ScoreThe Rock Score

Nico Tuason

<<

And it looks pretty clearly, almost usable to my purposes

So my question is: how to insert [I'll use HTML lingo] brakelines between albums? Or at least some sign like a hypen or some spaces?

In this example, 2-3 albums are still quite visible. But when there will be something like 20 albums for one artist it will just look chaotic / unreadable and eventually I'm gonna miss some merged words [ergo: treat two albums as one]

Try
$loop(%album%,1)%album%
$loopend()
$loopend()

If you want to create a HTML script, where you have all the HTM-Language's options to design the output, then you have to use the Mp3tag Export Scripting Language to create such a HTML script.
Doing this you can circumvent design flaws of the M3tag Export Scripting Language, like a missing dedicated statement for a linebreak.

DD.20150224.0912.CET

Yes. A code like that

$loop(%album%,1)%album%
$loopend()

$loopend()
<<

gives me exactly what I need. In this example:

Nick Glennie-Smith

The Man In The Iron Mask Score

The Rock (Expanded Edition) Score
The Rock Score

Nico Tuason

<<

I forgot, that you can export not only to a TXT file nut also to a HTML and others

But I tend to keep things as simple as possible; and that's why I use Notepad all the time. And fot this specific purpose a code from above will do the trick

Once more, thank you both for the convenient knowledge

I just for further reference, in case of emergency [if I somehow loose all the data on my computer]; I came up with an export code, that perfectly suits my needs:

$loop(%artist%,1)
################################################################################
################################################################################

#########################

%artist%

$loop(%album%,1)%year% %album%
$loopend()$loopend()
<<

You can use the function $repeat(string,count) ... to create a repeated pattern of text.
For example ...

$repeat('#',25) ==> '#########################' $repeat('some text ',3) ==> 'some text some text some text ' $repeat($char(13)$char(10),4) ==> 4 x CRLF (CarriageReturn+LineFeed)

... and ... while here in the forum ... you can put script code text into CODEBOX tag.

DD.20150225.0847.CET

I'm sorry for not noticing those options on the left...

I have one more problem with exporting

For example "è" from ALBUM TAG becomes an ordinary "e" on the list in TXT file. Is it a matter of formatting?

What should I do to keep all those extra signs in my exports?

Put this as the first statement into the file before $loop():
$filename(txt,utf-16)

Although you want to keep things simple, sometimes you want the contrary.
The Mp3tag export feature allows to write a text file with different encoding: ANSI or UTF-16 or UTF-8.

From the Mp3tag help manual ...
If you enabled writing of UTF-8 or UTF-16 via the $filename function in the export configuration, this option enables writing of a Byte Order Marker which is required by some applications.
You can set the filename of the exported file with the function $filename(name[,enc]).
The optional second parameter sets the encoding of the export file.
Possible values are ansi, utf-8 and utf-16.
$filename(test.txt)
$filename(test.txt,ansi)
$filename(test.txt,utf-8)
$filename(test.txt,utf-16)

Sometime it can help to have a look into the manual.

DD.20150226.0925.CET

Keeping it simple doesn't imply in any way changing the names or titles, by anglicizing them. If there is something to be implied, it is the assumption that someone who uses Mp3tag, rather cares for the proper tagging and maintaining order in his or hers files- and that is just the opposite what a not specified as UTF-8 / UTF-16 TXT file does with them; and unfortunately that side effect anglicization is done by Mp3tag by default, which I found to be as unsuspected as unwanted

If I create in Windows a new TXT file a put in it a sign like "è", I will get a proper warning and a short simple instruction on what I can do next. And that is what I did every time I got that system generated message: changed the ASCI to the first working [Unicode]. Why does Mp3tag do not display similar message? How should a user of thousands files remember that there are some among them only covered by UTF? And how should a not experienced user know about the existance of this issue with coding?

For me the problem with on-line help is that it is written not for someone who has no idea what to do, but for someone who is already quite experienced with all the options and / or some coding in different programs. Most of the times after reading the help I was as helpless as before

Now, where does it explicitly says, you have to put into the code? And not into the path of the file? [That is the exemplification of the problem with on-line help]

$filename(test.txt)

I see "filename", and I assume that this is the place where the name of my file [exported list] should be. And why wouldn't I, when not every export code must create a list of filenames [because you can simply choose to export instead TITLE TAGS or even skip them, whatever the need is]? So if I see something that looks like a mask of a filename I assume it is something from the area of filename / path. And so I've tried to put it into the path of the file to be created [in "Export file name" field], not in the code

Also I just do not comprehend how am I suppose to figure out to go from the on-line help's

$filename(test.txt,utf-16)

to

What was the "test" for? The test of what? Why isn't it there anymore? The on-line help doesn't answer that at all

If not warning in the Mp3tag itself, then a simple one sentence in help about the ability of UTF-16 option to successfully export signs like "è" as an "è" and not as an "e" [or "#" or "%$~`" or blank space or whatever], could also stop some people from writing in forum. Because if they even go for example to Wikipedia entry on UTF-16 and make a search for "è", you won't find that sign. And let's face the truth- who of them will read all that technical article, understand it completely and figure out, that this is the solution? If they know what the "Byte Order Marker" means then they probably wouldn't have to loo further

Well, in conlusion, maybe that's the difference beetwen "help" and "manual"

Well, the help says:
"You can set the filename of the exported file with the function $filename(name[,enc]). The optional second parameter sets the encoding of the export file. Possible values are ansi, utf-8 and utf-16. "

This should have given you a hint that encoding could be a problem.
And, to be honest, exporting is no topic for the unexperienced user. Or you use one of the example files and start from there.

You can set up a column in Mp3tag listview, which displays the current character encoding.
Name: Char Enc
Value: %_id3v2_character_encoding%

DD.20150227.1038.CET

Thank you both for all the info

But I'm still gonna recommend the implementation of a warning like that from Windows for a TXT file with non regular signs