Moving Files via Drag and Drop

Long time Windows user, brand new MAC user :slight_smile:

In Windows, I could highlight tracks, drag and drop them to a different folder, and it would move the file.

In MAC, I can do the same drag and drop action, but rather than move the file, the default action seems to copying them to the different folder.

Is there anyway I can change this at all? I am aware that I can double click, then "Move" but just wondered if I can change the default drag and drop action?

Many thanks!

Trev

Welcome, again :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, it's currently not possible to change the behavior of the drag-and-drop action.

I remember that I've tried to support both copy and move when implementing this, but didn't find a way to get notified by macOS when the move operation was successful. This is necessary to delete the file from the original location and update the folder in Mp3tag.

Previously, I've added Edit → Move... to move files. You're the first to miss this at drag and drop — and let me know about it — and I just made a note on my internal wish list to re-investigate this.

In macOS Finder, when you drag and drop files they will move between folders, just as on Windows. However, if you are dragging them across volumes, (such as from an internal drive to an external hard drive or a NAS), then macOS will default to copying the files. If you want to move the files in Finder across volumes or drives, you can hold CMD while dragging and it will move the files instead of copying. If you see the little + sign by your cursor while dragging, it will copy instead of move.

As you discovered that doesn't work when dragging files out of Mp3tag. Here is a low friction alternative workflow that I actually prefer, myself.

1. Select the files in Mp3tag (I use CMD+A since I'm normally selecting all of them displayed in the app window)
  2. Use CMD+C to copy them to the clipboard
  3. Select the destination folder in Finder (CMD+TAB to the Finder and CMD+Backtick to cycle through the open Finder windows)
  4. Use CMD+OPT+V in the selected Finder window to move the files to their destination.

That may sound like a lot of steps, but once you have the keyboard shortcuts memorized they are actually as fast or faster in many cases. As a bonus, those shortcuts will help speed up your navigation between windows in macOS in general.

1 Like