Mp3 file won't play

I've been using Mp3tag for quite a while now and I haven't experienced any problems with it. Recently I edited the tags of a file and then afterwards it would not play.

I tried to play it in many programs but it wouldn't play and instead would start and stop immediately without any sound. The length of the file has also dropped a whole minute. I know it definitely wasn't like this before editing because I have a backed up version of it without tags.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

It would be great if you can check the backed up version for any errors, preferably with MP3 Diags

If all is good with this file and you can still reproduce the issue, please send the file for analyzing purposes.

1 Like

Thank you very much for responding. I checked the backed up version for errors using MP3 Diags like suggested. Multiple notes have come up:

1. ac "No MPEG audio stream found."
2. fa "No ID3V2.3.0 tag found, although this is the most popular tag for storing song information."
3. ob "No supported tag found that is capable of storing song information."
204. ib "Broken stream found. Since other streams follow, it is possible that players and tools will have problems using the file. Removing the stream is recommended."
205. kc "Unkown stream found. Since other streams follow, it is possible that players and tools will have problems using the file. Removing the stream is recommended."
The other 200 notes say for ak are "Invalid MPEG stream. Stream has fewer than 10 frames."

Any help on what this means and how it can be fixed would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

This means that the file was corrupt before it got tagged.
I would assume that no player will actually play it fully. I even doubt, that it can be repaired so that the originally expected information is restored.

You could try to load it into an audio editor and see what it makes of the file and then save it again.
I still thinkt that the file is broken beyond repair.

1 Like

Oh. Well thank you very much for all the help. I've tried to repair it in an audio editor but didn't have any success. I'll just have to get the original audio again :slight_smile:

You can try the ":hammer: 4" icon in MP3 Diags which tries to fix everything. Then listen to the file in full and see if you can notice any glitches.

Personally, I'd not want such a file in my library and would try to buy a replacement (if possible).

1 Like

Thank you. Just tried that and it wasn't successful so I'll just get the audio again. Thank you so much for all of the help though

1 Like